Posts Tagged ‘vampirerunner’
Ludum Dare 21 is finished and rating time too and we have the rating results.
Vampire Runner was #290, not so good as other of our previous Ludum Dare games, but on the other hand there was a lot of games in this one, almost three times the games of the previous Ludum Dares.
Here are the scores Vampire Runner got in this Ludum Dare:
Position Category Score #87 Community 3.22 #144 Coolness 4% #159 Fun 2.94 #168 Humor 2.18 #290 Overall 2.75 #305 Graphics 2.50 #339 Audio 1.29 #345 Innovation 2.38 #450 Theme 2.00
Now, I want to share a small post mortem of the game and explain why I feel the score is what I expected.
What went wrong
- As the game started like some kind of Canabalt clone, because my lack of imagination, I was a bit unmotivated so Saturday progress was really slow and unproductive.
- I feel I lost too much time making the vampire animations and forgot about the environment assets.
- The game lack of audio and that goes against the Ludum Dare score.
- I forgot to reflect inside the game the connection with Ludum Dare’s theme.
- Missing on-line high scores: it shouldn’t be so hard to add it as I have Face Hunt (and other games) experience but I was a bit lazy and didn’t. One reason to have this one is to make the game more competitive and also to know who is playing the game.
What went right
- On Sunday, I almost restarted the way I was making the game and focused on making it really small and fun. It kinda worked.
- Making the game available on a lot of platforms: Linux, Mac, Windows and Android.
I totally agree with the score of the game because I started with no motivation and for that reason I didn’t tried so hard, obviously that goes against making a good game. Here is a list of why I agree or not with each score.
- Community: I shared a lot of stuff: source code, timelapse, made it work on multiple platforms. I believe that counts as community rating, so 3.22 is right for me.
- Fun: Game IS fun (at least I feel that and some other people does), so 2.94 is right for me (maybe a bit more).
- Humor: Game has a bit of humor when the vampire explodes, and maybe the vampire graphics are funny too, but only that, so 2.18 is right for me (even more than I expected).
- Graphics: Only the vampire animation is something worth to value here, the background and obstacles are not so cool, so 2.50 is around what I expected.
- Audio: Game has no audio, I am not agree with the score of 1.29.
- Innovation: Game is almost a clone of Canabalt with some modifications, it has a bit of innovation but not too much, so I agree with a score of 2.38.
- Theme: If you read the game description, it says what was the intention of the theme connection but as I failed to reflect that inside the game I believe 2.00 is right for me.
Thats all, hope you like it.
(note: this entry is almost a copy/paste of this entry from our blog)