Posts Tagged ‘super’
Hamsters in space are super cute!
Look at that hamster. Don’t you want to drain his oxygen?
You are a crashed space pilot whith only 1 Minute of oxygen left. But gladly space hamsters have the ability to convert carrots into oxygen (hamstersynthesis). Drain them, but don’t kill them little fellers.
But close enough!
Certainly didnt get around to a few major features that Id really hoped for (like being able to steal a car – kinda important in a game that references Grand Theft Auto)
But I’m certainly happy with what I did get done over the weekend. ‘Super Theft Auto’ is a good start for an interesting little mini game.
You can play the current version of the game at the following link after installing the plugin (links/instructions are on the page- the only major OS not supported is OSX):
[LINK] (youll also find it on the CharityGameJam games submission screen of course)
Theres also a link on the page to a .blend download of the setup for the computer VideoTexture scene, youll need Blender 2.64a if you want to mess around with it.
- A game within a game – You start in a 3D world with a 3D computer, the (kinda) NES style game plays on the screen of the Funkytron computer (press space to zoom in and focus on the screen to actually see what youre doing)
- Large city area to explore (sadly only on foot at this stage)
- Pedestrians wander around the city (they make good target practice)
- Cars driving around (rare and very basic implementation)
- Gun ammunition to pick up
- Basic scoring system (you can score points for killing people)
I have version 0.5c of ‘Super Theft Auto’ now available for public testing/playing/things.
The game is my take on having a game like GTA2 on the NES (or at least a 3D Funkytron console) I havent really kept as close to the NES specs as I would have liked, but I think its turning out ok so far, its been a lot of fun to work on if anything.
Theres not much to the gameplay. I still need to add some major features in. But theres some initial pedestrians now, a title screen, various other much needed improvements – I can see this actually being a game sometime in the near future. I really need to add the car system in though, the map is quite large (spent too much time working on that tonight). Its too much to explore fully on foot.
You can find the game embedded in this page – [LINK]
Youll need to install the ‘Burster’ web plugin to use it (unfortunately Mac is not supported), but Linix and Windows (64&32bit) will both run it fine. The plugin is a ~26mb download, and is easy to install. Theres instructions & links to download it on the page I made for the game.
Feedback would be great, I know theres not much of a game, but Ill take any crits or suggestions. Also knowing if the Burster plugin install is a smooth process for you would be great as well. I hate having to install a plugin to play a game as much as the next person, but Ive tried to make the page as helpful as possible.
Anyway, its past 2am where I live, and Ive been running on 2-3 hours sleep all day (was a bit night saturday night). Im starting to see random flickers/objects in my vision, so a good indicator to get sleep I believe! Plus programming in this state is so slow and frustrating Id be better off sleeping.
Im not sure how much Ill be able to get done in the final hours tomorrow, but I hope to at least implement a few more crucial features (like death and a points systems) – We will see!
I’m Eldaryze, the programmer and sound designer of the getRandomName() Jam Team.
Here is my 72h Timelapse of the game making.
Check our entry here !
Almost 48 hours after the beginning of the Ludum Dare, we have found a name for our game :
Super Tiny Adventure
Here is a screenshot of our Game :
We still have a lot of things to do :
- Create a definitive level.
- Write the dialogs of the last quests.
- We need to implement the interactions with the world.
- Remake some Graphics.
- Implement the dialogs and the variables related to the quests.
But we have a lot of thing done :
- Found a name.
- Coded the dialogs.
- Wrote the most part of the dialogs
- Drawn the sprites of the NPCs
- Voted in the french elections.
For the second time, we are in ! And we henceforth have a name for our Jam Team : getRandomName() ! NB : Our previous participation.
Here is the setup :
- Eldaryze as programmer and sound designer
- Enimal as game designer and level designer
- Oxydam as game designer and level designer
This is the actual state of development, after almost one day of work.
As you can see :
- We are using Flash – with the famous flixel framework.
- It’s a one screen game without scrolling. All will be in the 800×512 window.
- It’s a 3/4 view rpg – even if the perspective isn’t always regular. The small 3×2 black rectangle is the player.
- Some graphics need to be remade.
- We have to implement the NPCs and the interactions with the world.
- We should enhance the game with chiptune music.
- Find a name !
That’s all for today. Good luck everyone !