Posts Tagged ‘stella’
I promised you I’ll finish this game and will inform you on the developement like before so here are the new features.
The algorithm that calculates the player position is finally implemented. Given the angle to it it claculates the vector from the center point to the player so it can move in a circular curve.
I was finally able to grab a video of what’s going on so I can show you that. You will see the 4 enemies moving along a temporal curve I’ve made only for this demonstration. They not coming randomly yet. After that I show you player movement along a circular curve and a crazy variation just to show you how powerful and reusable algorithm this is.
Tomorrow I try to make use of the pseudo-random number generator I have done durig the compo for starting the enemies randomly. Next I implement the player controls. Finally integrate the whole thing into the game. I hope I’ll have time to do all that… wish me luck!
I spent half a day debugging things that are considered relatively easy to make so I don’t have time to finish the game. Don’t want to send it to the jam neither. I could have use premade stuff in that case instead of writing everything from scratch so it deserves better.
I’ll continue the developement to make all the features I was originally planned. Maybe it will be complited before the next weekend. I’ll share anything here like until now. Stay tuned!
Btw I made some optimalizations in the code and got rid of the bugs. It’s working and pretty now… until I make some changes.
I call a subroutine and the RTS isn’t returning to the correct location. I’m not using the stack so nothing modifies the return address… I’m stuck with this for 2 hours now.
Please help if you have any guesses! Thx!
The 4 enemies are moving like they should along a curved line. (With a lot of simplification… sadly.) The selection of which enemy will be deployed is continuous and not random – i implemented the pseudo-random number generator though. (This will be the next task.)
I need 2 hours of regeneration now. I started to do silly mistakes and these are just keeping me up… After I’ll continue with the implementation of the defender (player) because I don’t want to ru out of time with a pile of crap code that doesn’t do anything. Last I make the shooting and hit testing and that is really the bare bones of the action.
If this 2 thing is finished then I’ll start to add the droped out features one by one.
- bombs from mothership
- title screen
- better gfx
Anyway CamStudio keeps crashing so I’ll not make any animation. Maybe if someone make a detailed tutorial on how to do this properly.
I can have up to 4 enemies now. Now on to positioning and moving…
No need to post a screenshot now because it’s not very impressive, but after the moveing is done I’ll show you some animation with all 4 of them in play!
OK! I drank the first beer. The plan has been made. I’ll take a 2 hour nap after this 24 hours up time with physical activities. I’m tired…
The thing is a score attack game. Aliens try to blow up your tiny world. It is a little planet which you have to defend. There are evil space ships and mother ships with deadly bombs everywhere around you. You will have a hard time!
Technical details are planned, algorithms are done except 1 that I have never did before. This will be challengeing to code becouse of the complexity level of the screen. So I take 2 hours nap then I walk my dog and say hello in my pub, drink coffee there and come back and I’ll be awake until all the coding is done. I plan graphics, sfx and balancing for tomorrow…
I’ll release everything that has been made as I go. Stay tuned!
Finally… The first LD I can do from start to finish! No girlfriend, no work, no moving… yay!
I’ll make a really minimalist game though. I want to catch the idea what makes something a good game. So for this project I’ve chosen the Atari 2600 (VCS or Stella) platform. Minimalist graphics and sfx with no music. Just the bare bones… At least I try to aim for this until gameplay is working right.
For the developement I’ll use:
- Stella (emulation and run-time debug)
- Notepad (editor)
This game will be playable in the Stella emulator perfectly. For developemant I’ll not use any illegal opcodes or nasty bank switching and that kind of stuff for simplicity – maybe after LD I pimp it up a bit. I’ll work according to the Stella Programmer’s Guide and the 6502 Reference while keeping the 4k boundary so there is no reason it will not work on the real thing!