Posts Tagged ‘igdacwb’
A very short Postmortem about my Compo entry: Ant, Bee, Cow, Pig and Spider BOSS. http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=2465.
I think I shouldn’t have participated this Ludum Dare, I was/am overwhelmed with work, and I should have kept working on the weekend. Also I hated the game I submitted.
What went wrong
- Came with around 10 ideas; worked a bit on each one of them and on the end the game was nothing related to the initial ideas.
- Worked only 10 hours.
- The graphics, ah the awful graphics.
- Too short: I’ll blame the fact I had dozens of ideas and didn’t work on a specific one, so I couldn’t focus on more levels/mechanics.
- Problems with the 2D library in Unity: I decided to go with Orthello 2D free version, but I have never used it before. I spent the first hour just playing around with it and on the end I gave up and had to go with my own solution from scratch (I normally work with 2D Toolkit, but since it is a commercial library I can’t use on the compo).
- I didn’t like my end result.
- I drank too much cold Cola, so I’m a bit ill now.
What went right
- Used tools I’m familiar with.
- Althought I’m a bad artist (99% of my time in “real life” I’m doing only programming), I’ve gone the only art route I know: pixel art.
- I had fun.
- Unity3D (C#, iTween)
Play and rate it here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=2465.
It’s being a hard day. It’s already 8 PM and I could say I worked on the game for just 2 hours; I spent the rest of the time procrastinating about the game. Due to the small progress I don’t know if I’ll manage to finish it for the Compo. Anyway, what do I have:
- Gameplay Idea.
- Characters animations (yes, more than one) and main tiles.
- 2D framework in Unity.
- Unpolished background.