Posts Tagged ‘half way’
I’m loving the progress on this competition. Much more smoothly progressing than in many of the recent LD’s I have participated in. Makes me smile.
The progress so far:
- Wrote the narrative, it’s going to be fantastic
- Finished the map loading
- Created one mob
- Finished the collision between player and map, and mobs and map
- Game states
- Movement and Jumping are smooth and looking good!
- There is an attack, but it’s not so smooth yet
Yet to finish before bed:
- Create the levels
- Create new mobs
- Rework the attack
- Create Death
- Create player-to-mob and mob-to-player collision
- Create level portals in & out
- Create collectible drops from mobs
If I can accomplish all of that, tomorrow’s work will be the most fun of all!!
I am going to have dinner with my sweetheart soon. That’s going to help me feel a lot more motivated when I sit back to the computer to program. Best Ludum Dare yet! <3
(mandatory screenshot )
I have a few more items on my task list and then the game is “Play Complete.” That gives me all of tomorrow to polish, which was my goal! I’ve never been so far at this point. I think two critical factors have made this possible:
- ChevyRay’s code that he gave away with the Keynote! Thanks ChevyRay!
- I’ve spent the last month or so learning Flash and FlashPunk instead of waiting until the contest to learn!
How it looks at this point:
As I’m going by 48 hours since I started, I have about 20 hours left.
I have hit a problem in that the Quirks’ state machine is rather unwieldy and complex… a better solution would have been doing pixel detection, but my engine doesn’t currently support that ( something I’ve noted down to fix later ) as such, it does a variety of tile checks depending on the Quirk’s orientation and direction.
This is unbelievably nasty… and it’s forced me to go back a bit and redesign it all on paper first so I can see all the combinations I can get. It’s still going to end up a massive mess, but I can atleast tackle each segment at a time and make it a bit more bearable to code!
I’ve also realised that I’ve spent most of my time wrestling with the code and doing some ( basic ) graphics.. there’s no sound effects of any sort, and I’m thinking I’m going to have to squeeze them in in the last two or three hours before packaging it up.
On the plus side, there’s now interaction! There’s now randomly coloured Quirks! And the engine can sustain about 256 Quirks ( nice retro number to coincide with the graphics! ) before slowing down! I did have it throwing about 900 on the screen, but it slows a fair bit, as each Quirk gets it’s own monolithic 500 line state machine ( and that state machine isn’t even finished yet! )
Here’s a hundred Quirks, with an updated Graphics set, and the red box o’doom cursor