Posts Tagged ‘custom framework’
Like others before me, this article is, without surprise, be an introduction to the fact that I’ll also take part in LD23. This is my first Ludum Dare, so I’ll do my best.
I’m not afraid of the technical challenge, as during the warmup period I’ve writen a small bootstrapping library. It will hopefully allow me to focus on the game creation rather than on the technical details. I say “hopefully” as this small library is my first attempt at writing some JS, I did not have time to put eveything I wanted in it, it has not been tested the way I wanted, and I’m also still not used to the syntax of the language. Anyway, it should be of a great help. That’s by far not the best piece of software I’ve writen, but if you feel like using it, it is avalaible on Github. It features:
- A game structure
- A ressource cache for images -> loading screen
- Small management of effects (example is shown with fade-in/fade-out)
- Sprite animations (really really basic)
- Easy keyboard management
- Viewport. Well, sort of
- Easy drawing/writing with the screen class
- A Timer class for dealing with time management
This will be the first time I’m gonna use the library for a real application so it’ll probably evolve during the weekend.
As for my other tools:
- Git. Source control is really useful, even on small project. It can really be a lifesaver if you break something by “accident” and can’t get back to something that worked by yourself. If you don’t know how to use such kind of tools, that’s a great opportunity to do that, you won’t regret it.
- Paint.Net: There is no enough time for me to do some good job with tools like Gimp or Inkscape, so let’s focus on what I know. It won’t be pretty, but art has never been a strength for me.
- sfxr: That’s the same for music. Let’s hope it’s gonna make something good, I have no idea how to do something better (and, I’ll most likely won’t have enough time to learn). I tried Bfxr and I prefer the results with this one.
- Chronolapse: If the video is not too boring, I might publish a timelapse of my work.
- Winamp and some junk food.