Posts Tagged ‘Bad RTS’
------------------------------------------ --- I - C - E ---- B - R - E - A - K - E - R --- ------------------------------------------------
(When I get up I’ll do a post-sleep post-pre-mortem-post-mortem, some of this will just be taking some of the prolix and manic text out of my submission page – yay sleep dep!)
That was a lot of fun! (but it’s not over yet..) I somehow wrote just shy of 3,000 lines of code in 48hrs. It’s almost certainly 90% ugly horribleness, and I’m not a fan of LOC as a metric of productivity – but it still feels pretty cool. (If I printed it all out it would take about 46 A4 pages).
Unfortunately, quantity of code does not equal a finished game. About halfway in (after some sleep) I lost a lot of time to vascilating between confusion at the code I’d added before passing out (that guy was craaaazy) and feeling generally dumb. But eventually I got it nailed down and was grateful to discover that, whilst I had lost track of what I was doing – the more responsibly-minded part of me had sent me down a tunnel with no wrong turns. Not to say I didn’t bump my head a few times, slip over in miscellany or mistaken inanimate objects for long-lost lovers..
What went wrong / right
that one’s for the morrow I think, sorry – they’re my favourite part too.
- Music made in Renoise
- Sound effects in Renoise + Audacity (and Bfxr at the last minute)
- Graphics in ASEPrite, Blender and the system default editor
- IDE/Editor almost entirely SublimeText2 (unregistered)
- I feel terrible about that, as I finally see how cool it is
- Coded in Haxe with HaxePunk
- I also (eventually) streamed my progress at Twitch.tv
It may not be much right now, but I think after I’ve checked the rules I may enter the Jam so I can see it closer to a working game.
I’ll be uploading post-compo editions to the entry’s page as I go (in about 8 hours or so)
(this is just copied over from the submission page to reduce clutter, tl;dr: rambling…)
circa T+05 mins
began writing submission
circa T+20 mins
I’m having a few unanticipated issues with publishing; the .swf
seems to work fine in the standalone Flash player, but not
even remotely in a browser.
I’ve got 20 minutes or so of submission hour to work it out, but
here’s the swf for the time being (same link under “Windows” unfortunately)
circa T+56 mins
Okay, got it to publish. Seems to have odd framerate issues.
Will use my last 3 mins to see if I can suss it out.
So I’m back at it after a solid eight hours of sleep. A little under twelve hours left and I still can’t “Spawn” units. I can make them randomly appear, but somehow I think that won’t be enough.
On the other side of things, I am getting closer with the RTS game. You can select any number of units, and right click to have them move wherever you want. Once I can make units spawn I’ll release a beta. More to come!