Posts Tagged ‘avoidal’
AVOIDAL (my August 2010 Ludum Dare entry) and October Challenge entry has found a home!
I’m excited to report I finalized on a primary sponsorship deal with Tom Fulp of Newgrounds last week and have finished all the integration and testing work required. That work included getting to create 23 fun medals (achievements) for players to win when the game is played over on the Newgrounds site with a player account. The game will launch over there next week on November 3rd. I’ve also managed to sell a few non-exclusive licenses including one to Big Fish Games. The primary sponsorship was found via posting to Flash Game License. I spent a good bit of time in October working on, play testing, and polishing the original competition version into the final version.
The highscores have been reset so get in there and play!
I am pleased to present the final version of AVOIDAL. It has gone through heavy changes since my last post-compo post.
I’ve been working very hard on it since Ludum Dare concluded and have put about 30 more hours of work into it (or about 50 or so total on this game so far.) I wanted to be able to get this finished in time to submit to August’s Experimental Gameplay Project since I was aware of their theme of “Zero Buttons” while I worked on this and I was able to do it!
Big thanks to Sparky who has given me a TON of invaluable feedback and ideas while tweaking this final version.
The menu should read v1.0.7 or greater in the top-left or your cache is old.
RECENT VERSION HISTORY
v1.0.7 – Posted 8/30/2010
- Made HUD a little less cluttered
v1.0.6 – Posted 8/30/2010
- Combo introduced and capped to x5 multiplier
- Mines now can start moving around at higher levels
- New “Mine Streak” bonus awards at 10,25,50,75,100,150,200
- New menu layout
- Tracks local highscore, highest streak and difficulty for local replayabilty and challenge
- More sounds added for new notices and awards
v1.0.5 – Posted 8/30/10
- New visual effect and sound effect for when a spike hits a mine (to differentiate and add variety from when a seeker hits a mine)
- Smoother angled robot effect when mouse moves left and right
- Smoke toned down to be less distracting
- Mine lifespan increased at beginning to 6 seconds instead of 4
- Added a 10 frame damage image to the robot torso to also help show player health
- Adjusted game to run at 60FPS instead of 30FPS
- Smoke now appears behind player sprite
- Fixed score bug
v1.0.4 – Updated 8/29/10
- More changes to difficulty curve based on feedback
- Added Animation on How To Play screen to easily explain game mechanics instead of having as much text to read
I’ve made a bunch of improvements to AVOIDAL since the compo and I’d love your feedback!
- Added 1 second of invulnerability if you take damage (this helps a ton!)
- Rebalanced the difficulty curve to make it progress a tad slower
- Mines spawn a tad further in from the edges to help player not get stuck on walls as much
- Reworked How To Play screen to be simpler and clearer
- Changed ‘Energy’ to ‘Health’ in UI
- Fixed some sound volume and playing issues
- Added a nice visual effect of little random twinkling stars in the background
I’m gonna keep listening for feedback and working on this game but I think it is pretty close to me calling it done at this point. Thanks for the great feedback I’ve gotten already to everyone who left me comments on my rating page.
I had a lot of fun this Ludum Dare! After missing the past few it was good to participate again for sure. I’ve never done one of these post mortem entries but I enjoy reading the other ones people post so I thought I’d take a crack at it.
You can read my detailed post mortem below:
I worked on AVOIDAL for 26 hours and took screenshots every 30 seconds. This three minute timelapse video is the result. There were a few times I forgot to restart my timelapse so there are a few tiny things missing but most of all the interesting asset creation (like graphics and sfxr and music) is in there.
Here is my timelapse for AVOIDAL on YouTube:
If anyone has a minute or two I’d love any comments on the difficulty ramp over the levels.
New features this build includes:
- All game parameters are tuned and tweaked every 5 mines collected to keep increasing the difficulty
- All mines, seekers, and spikes have their own warp in transitions for cool visual effect and to let the player know safely where they are going to appear and activate
- Introduced a CHAIN counter for big points. As long as you don’t take damage or let any mines expire and explode on their own you increase your chain counter for every mine you destroy with an enemy
Time to get cracking on sound effects and music at this point and then keep playing and tuning the hell out of it to make sure it is as fun as possible.
Spent the last part of the first day here getting the preloader, menus, highscores, and other assorted UI ephemera working. This way I won’t have to think about all that stuff during the last day when my brain starts shutting down trying to do game state flow. Always a recipe for last hour bugs!
The third version still needs a bunch of gameplay work but I have activated the local and global highscores.
I finally picked a game name of “Avoidal” too for this creation.
I have my plan for tomorrows code, graphics, sound, and music. Time to get to bed (about 1:30am here) and wake up in about 5 hours for the last day of the compo. What a marathon this LD beast is. Good luck everyone!