Posts Tagged ‘6502’
Hi, first “Ludum Dare” here. I found out about this competition and I thought that doing a game with such time constraints could be fun. Anyway, I’ll try to do my best in these 6 hours.
- Game built for the Nintendo Entertainment System
- Programmed in 6502 assembly (assembled with NESASM 3.1)
- Graphics built with YY-Chr
- May or may not use Shiru’s Famitone music/sfx library
- Edit: I’ll also use the RLE decompressor code included with NES Screen Tool, plus the tool itself, for nametables.
Wish me luck!
Finally… The first LD I can do from start to finish! No girlfriend, no work, no moving… yay!
I’ll make a really minimalist game though. I want to catch the idea what makes something a good game. So for this project I’ve chosen the Atari 2600 (VCS or Stella) platform. Minimalist graphics and sfx with no music. Just the bare bones… At least I try to aim for this until gameplay is working right.
For the developement I’ll use:
- Stella (emulation and run-time debug)
- Notepad (editor)
This game will be playable in the Stella emulator perfectly. For developemant I’ll not use any illegal opcodes or nasty bank switching and that kind of stuff for simplicity – maybe after LD I pimp it up a bit. I’ll work according to the Stella Programmer’s Guide and the 6502 Reference while keeping the 4k boundary so there is no reason it will not work on the real thing!