Ludum Dare 24
August 24th-27th 2012 :: Theme: Evolution
E-Volution By Vagabond - VagabondEx - 48 Hour Compo Entry
I've finished this with about 6h of work.
There are two ways to play the game:
- Challenge mode: The computer generates a rule, and you need to replicate that
- Freeform mode: You can play around with the rule and check what happens
How does it work:
You start with a dot, and a rule that controls the dots behaviour. The dot will move ahead (from the middle of the area straight up) and you can control the following:
- "Turn At": If you set it to X, it will turn in every Xth turn, by the amount specified in "Turn Amount". Turning happens before spawning.
- "Turn Amount": The degree of turning. Zero degree is continuing in a straight line, negative amounts are turning to the left (-1..-179, -90 is the square angle.) Positive amounts will turn the dot to the right, 90 again is the square angle, 180 is turning back.
- "Spawn At": Setting it to Y, in every Yth turn a new dot is generated at the same position, but turned by the "Child Dir Offset" amount.
- "Child Dir Offset": New dot's will be turned by this amount relative to the current direction of their parent. The valid values are the same as for "Turn Amount". This affects only the direction, not the location.
Example: When spawning, your dot has a direction of -90 (going straight to the left). The CDO is set to 100. Your new dot will inherit the -90, then the 100 is added, so the new dot will have a direction of +10, which is a bit to the right from straight up.
- "Die At": Dots will die after living for this much turns. Spawning happens before dieing. New dots start with age=0.
In Challenge Mode, you need to match your rule to the randomly generated one. The information message above the canvases will tell you how many of the five are currently matched. Tip: Before doing challenges, experiment with the values, so that you have a general understanding of the effects caused by changing a parameter. Start with simple turning first, then play with the "Die At value", then with the Spawing and CDO.
In Freeform mode, all you need to do is to experiment with different rules. I hope you will share any interesting rules with us in the comments, should you find one. :D
You must sign in to comment.