Ludum Dare 24
August 24th-27th 2012 :: Theme: Evolution
SURVIVE - Ragzouken - 48 Hour Compo Entry
Survival of the fittest fight for supremacy. You control organisms with the ability to drain health from each other, and create stronger children from their own health.
You win if your hue is dominant, you lose if you die and there are no more organisms with your hue to take control of.
* WASD - move
* Left click - drain health from other organisms (if you are not full)
* Right click - repair an organism or create a new one
* b - colour-blind mode (brighter organisms are closer to your hue)
* n - disable birth sound (bleep bloop)
* your health is the portion of colour within your hexagonal border
* if you die, you take control of an ally
* if you are low on health, left click on enemy organisms to stealth their health
* if you have high (especially full) health, right click on the ground to create offspring, or on an ally organism to heal it
* win by stealing health from other colours and converting it into babies of your colour
The idea was originally to have a heavier emphasis on creating better offspring, but as it stands offspring are only a slight improvement on their parents. Offspring have a slightly different hue from their parents, so distant relations in the family tree will not necessarily be allies!
The bleeps and bloops are the sound of organisms being born! The lower the pitch, the less alike to you they are. The other sound warns you when you are low on health, or too full to attack.
With more time, I'd ideally make the organism AI better - they ought to run away when in danger, and create children away from enemies who are likely to consume them immediately.
POST COMPO FIXES:
* Collision - organisms now collide loosely, preventing too many organisms swarming in the same place
* Input fixes - clicking on organisms is now more reliable
* Sound fix - the sound no longer repeats after the game ends
* AI changes - organisms now try to run to safety to replicate, and find enemies to kill more easily
Made using love2d (https://love2d.org/) - the .love is just a renamed .zip of the source.
Font from http://www.fontspace.com/digitaldreamdesign/d3-honeycombism
You must sign in to comment.