Ludum Dare 23
April 20th-23rd 2012 :: 10 Year Anniversary! :: Theme: Tiny World
muniverse - namuol - Jam Entry
Most notable missing features are a proper HUD and sound/music. (But I have begun to add SFX to the post-jam version.)
If you're interested in seeing what I do with this, follow my devlog (muniverse-game.tumblr.com) or @louroboros on twitter. Cheers!
The biggest problem was that I didn't have the time to do any real playtesting, so there will definitely be bugs and balance problems, heh.
Anyway, enough excuses. Let me explain the game.
(mu)niverse is a very simplified version of a space exploration/trade/action game. It feels a bit like Elite but with top-down 2D of Star Control II, if you're familiar with either of those games. You select a star system, then a planet/moon, and there you can gather resources, visit space stations, pick up passengers, trade goods, and encounter simple enemies.
- Arrow Keys move cursor to select star system, highlighted with green circle.
- Large turquoise circle is the range of your FTL fuel.
- 'Z' selects star system
- 'C' returns to Flight Mode
- Arrow Keys move cursor to select a planet you wish to visit.
- 'Z' travels to that planet (instantaneously) and puts you in Flight Mode
- 'C' returns to Star Map
- Arrow Keys -- control is much like classic Asteroids.
* Down is afterburner ("brake").
- 'Z' fire cannon.
- "Park" over a space station for a few seconds to enter the Station Screen
- Blinking pixels on and around planets are resources -- fly into them to collect them.
- 'C' to exit the Station.
- Up/Down to select different items on current screen.
- Left/Right change screen (Cargo[trade], Missions, Hangar)
- 'Z' - Buy selected good
- 'X' - Sell selected good
- 'Z' - Accept/Abandon selected mission
- 'Z' - Purchase selected upgrade
Some stuff that I want to be able to happen in the final version:
- More visual variety of planets, stations, enemies, etc.
- More than Taxi missions.
* Research missions -- acquire and return goods from a remote planet.
* Transporting unruly prisoners...
* Bounty hunting.
- FTFTL (faster than FTL) jumping to different sectors of the Galaxy (Galaxy Screen and Jump-gates).
- Building a reputation against the police. :)
- Hiring crewmembers
* Mechanic - Automatically repairs your ship mid-flight if you have scrap metal.
* Smuggler - Reduces your chance of being caught with fugitive passengers or illegal goods.
* Muscle - Keeps unruly passengers in order.
- Jettisoning anything and everything, including passengers and bombs...
Full disclosure: yes, I have fixed a handful of bugs -- mostly crash-bugs -- post-jam. Anything major added feature-wise will be on the "Post-Jam Online" version. I intend to continue working on this game so let me know if you have any ideas!
You must sign in to comment.