Ludum Dare 18
August 20th-23rd, 2010
Theme: Enemies as Weapons
Zombie Conquest - Andrew Marsh - Competition Entry
Update: Now works on all windows versions without compatibility mode hopefully. There was a problem with the PySFML 1.6 download for windows, compiled it from source and the game should work now.
A puzzle game, featuring zombies. Don't let anybody escape to the safehouses. With two enemy types.
Shambler: your basic human enemy, as soon as they can hear a zombie within 3 tiles of them they start to move towards the nearest safehouse. If they get there then you fail in your mission.
Sniper: trained soldiers, although they can kill your zombies, you can get back at them, as years of sitting around waiting for something to happen have removed their ability to turn 180 degrees, so if you can get behind them then you can transform them easily and when they are on your side, you can use their rifle to kill far away enemies.
The zombies in this game were caused by some mysterious magical force, they can resurrect the dead corpses of slain humans. A dead zombie however, remains dead.
* left click on a zombie to select it
* right click on a tile to path towards it
* press the spacebar or end turn button to advance 1 turn
* as a sniper, right click on an enemy to shoot.
* press R to restart the level if you get stuck
Only managed to finish making three levels in the end, but probably will add more in a post compo version. When you get past the third level you will just get a plain level with one enemy in the corner. There are level creation tools built in but they are not particularly well designed. Read below for info on how to use them.
Really enjoyed this competition and hope to take part in future ludum dares.
Here is how to create your own level:
* Press E to enter the tile editor. Press one to use wall tiles and press zero to use floor tiles, click to paint
* Press C to enter the collision editor, paint over the walls by clicking on them to make them colidable.
* Press H to enter the entity placement editor, press 0 to place shamblers, 1 to place safehouses and 2 to place snipers. With shamblers and snipers, left click gets you a zombie and left click and shift gets you a sniper. After using the entity placement editor press R as this restarts the level and makes sure your entities will show up when you play.
* Press P to play.
* To save the level, press S.
* If you need to skip forward to your level when you start up the game U skips forwards one level.
You must sign in to comment.