About triplefox (twitter: @triplefox)
Ludum Dare 27
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 22
Ludum Dare 21
Ludum Dare 17
Archive for the ‘LD #23’ Category
- Load and save songs
- Clear board
- Record .WAV (32-bit stereo)
It went relatively smoothly. I made a timelapse, which I’ll hopefully post a little later. I have some thoughts for a post-compo version which would add more stuff, particularly saving and loading.
The only major sources of lost time were problems within my own framework(bugs, misfeatures, etc.) and the sampleset I used(they each had weird patch settings which I fixed by hand) – but it was overall a relaxed feeling, especially after the second day was over. Very different from my experience in LD22, where I was coming down to the wire to build tons of content in a short period.
As a bit of reflection: The influences on this game are many and varied. A good portion of it stems from the feedback of my previous work(in which I’ve played with celluar automata systems, synthesis and procedural content). The ASCII emulation was made previously for a compo of the Moosader community, and I made a very deliberate choice to go for ZZT-like styling. And I had just come off of getting the sampler/sequencer working for MIDI demos, so I was prepared to reuse it for another project and round off some edges in the process. Last but not least, I had a lot of inspiration from all the games of this style(Falling Sand or otherwise) but got lucky in quickly finding a productive set of “playing pieces” to work with.
I think I’m done for today. It’s a lot of fun to play with. Tomorrow I’ll clean up any issues and add some instructions and a title!
It functions, it makes noise. I need to figure out some features to add now.
I do this thing in my sequencer where I convert MIDI note events to frequencies. Only, I forgot about this, and I didn’t use good naming, so the sequencer was calling the frequencies “note” too.
Then I went to create a sequencer event using “note” and put in 63 (a middle pitch MIDI note) and wondered why nothing was playing. Answer: Those sampled patches did not want to play at 63hz. Duh…
Making progress towards a music toy…I just spent a half-hour “debugging” a feature of my emulated-ASCII library: char 0, bg 0, fg 0 is used as transparent and thus showed the purple backdrop(255,0,255). Oops…
I have some MIDI playback tech that I’ll probably be focusing my game around:
The graphics, on the other hand, will be emulated ASCII. Less time on art, more time on sound! Or that’s the idea at least.