About roundcrisis (twitter: @roundcrisis)
Ludum Dare 23
Archive for the ‘LD #23’ Category
At 2am local time #LD23 started, we were sleeping :D. However we woke up at 6.30am to the news that Tiny World was the theme. After 2 and a half hours we had an idea of what the game was about, from then on we timelapsed it.
This is the first time any of us participates in a Ludum Dare. Post-Mortem.
After At the start I thought the game was too big. Half day in I started gaining confidence.
My view of the game after we finished working on the concept was that perhaps it was too big, I also thought maybe I just didn’t get it completely. As of right now I think this is a cool little game that needs some balancing and finishing details, however I really like the idea. In many ways I think we were lucky to find a not trivial idea so fast.
Maybe people coming to it with fresh eyes will have some difficulty trying to figure out what’s the story, that was not the intention. My apologies if the game doesn’t make sense.
- We submitted the game in time, with not so obvious gameplay, nice graphics, sound effects (not complete )
- We slept and ate as we needed, tho I should probably be sleeping now
- I learned loads more about game programming and had a great time at it. ie using x-flixel
- Simon did a great job with the song and so fast
- liked the way we pushed TODOs back and forth taking into account the time left.
- Installer that we tried earlier did not work on “virgin” machines, we had now two comments about the installer
- Got stuck sunday night, I can’t even remember why, but didn’t move on or asked for help quickly enough.
- should have practised with x-flixel before hand.
What went right.
- We had a really great framework in x-flixel, a port of flixel to XNA.
- Getting lucky with an idea early on.
- Stocking up on food before the start so we wouldn’t have to leave the house.
- Space hippies.
What went wrong.
- Picking something maybe a tiny bit too large.
- Not practicing with the framework before hand.
- Not building a few installers before hand.
- Not having access to an artist for the full 72 hours/spending too much time on temporary art.
This was a great few days, looking forward to the next one.