Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 24 Warmup
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 21
Archive for the ‘LD #23’ Category
Really enjoyed the theme this time round. I had a clear idea of what I wanted to make right from the outset. The game was originally intended to be a bit more of an RTS, but I ended up shoehorning in some more arcadey elements so that the whole thing was a bit more “gamey”. As a result the game ended up being kinda frustrating and stressful to play.
I’m going to be working on a updated version over the next few weeks, reworking the gameplay to focus more on building and calm fun, which will hopefully include:
- Originally I had the option to scroll between the different layers (surface, aquifer, rock, magma etc.). I’m planning to re-implement that and allow subterranean mines and magma forges!
- The ability to build gyropters and send them to explore other floating islands
- I’m going to redesign the combat element of the game, so that you can construct turrets for defence and so that the attackers are more varied and less overwhelming
- Reworked GUI and controls
- I’ll probably also get rid of the “hover over resources to collect” mechanic
Post-compo version coming.
Aiming to get this submitted into the jam later today. After a nights sleep I’ve had some new ideas on how to structure the gameplay – Hopefully I can get them done in time for the deadline tonight, but either way I’m sure I’m going to carry on working on this after the competition is over.
There’s now resources to collect and build with, and enemy blimps to fight off. So its starting to actually resemble a game!
The one thing I have no idea about right now is a title – Any suggestions?
I’m using playable in the loosest possible sense, as there’s currently almost nothing to do… but what the hell.
I’m still working out what the actual gameplay is going to be, but I’m thinking maybe a kind of cross between Grow and an old edutainment game, the name of which escapes me right now (Battle for the planet or something like that??)
Be sure to turn on the factory! Feedback appreciated!!