Another random swedish programmer, currently a student at LiU (Linköping University)
About Ace (twitter: @Ananace13)
Archive for the ‘LD #23’ Category
So, Tiny Hack/. A hack and slash with a 10×10 pixels world (Although any size should work)
What went right?
- The hastily drawn graphics turned out really nice and fitting to the overall theme.
- My first plans worked out surprisingly well.
- The tea tasted excellent.
What went wrong?
- Some horrible game-breaking bugs managed to sneak their way into the code, forcing me to spend more time hunting them down than making better gameplay.
- Didn’t start off with a actor based system so I had to spend a lot of time fixing that.
- Too much code ended up in the game class, making it annoying to work with.
What didn’t make it?
- A better aiming system, originally planned to be mouse/second stick controlled.
- Monster drops, to be used for upgrading your weapons.
- At least three more spells.
- Better monster AI (They were supposed to target the player when he’s close).
So, in retrospect;
I should probably have chosen something simpler as my first Ludum Dare game. When there was 14 hours left on the clock I realized a rogue-like would’ve been a much better aim.
After many hours of head scratching and a small bit of hair pulling I’ve managed to get a working version of my game done.
The last few hours were a real nightmare, a small bug popped up that caused the game to drop below single digit FPS when spawning enemies. Something that’s quite vital for hack and slashes.
One bug remains that sometimes, without any specific reason whatsoever, kills the game when you die.
I can live with that, seeing as the (are there even any?) circumstances are quite rare.
The submission page
22 hours left on the clock, I’m about to go sleep, and the game is not close to playable because of some hidden bug.
First thing tomorrow is to throw away my QuadTree and use a grid instead, hoping that will help.
I’ve noted some ideas for gameplay and started working on the game itself, got some basic graphics and input done.
Stream can be found here: http://www.twitch.tv/ananace