Home | Rules and Guide | Sign In/Create Account | Write a Post | Reddit | #LD48 | #ludumdare on irc.afternet.org (Info)

Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: Connected Worlds
  • Compo (Solo+Scratch+Src) Ends: in 1 day, 19 hours, 26 minutes, 5 seconds
  • Jam (Solo and Teams+Relaxed) Ends: in 2 days, 19 hours, 26 minutes, 5 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | Warmup Weekend (Games) | MiniLD #53 | Wallpaper (1) (2) (3) | Mailing List ]

    [ Submit/Edit Game | View All Games | My Game ]


    About The Evil Cult

    Entries

     
    Ludum Dare 28
     
    Ludum Dare 27
     
    Ludum Dare 26
     
    Ludum Dare 24
     
    Ludum Dare 23
     
    Ludum Dare 22

    The Evil Cult's Trophies

    Archive for the ‘LD #22’ Category

    Post-Mortem

    Posted by
    Monday, December 19th, 2011 7:44 pm

    What went right?

    • The Flashpunk framework was incredibly easy to use, and had most of the features needed. The few things that it couldn’t do I was able to live without.
    • I was able to pump out the few sound effects in sfxr extremely quickly.
    • The graphics came together a lot quicker than I thought. I’m not an artist by anyone’s standards, but 8×8 pixel tiles are so amazingly simple to create that I was able to keep churning them out.
    • My Trigger class. Although the code was messy, and it really needed to be cleaned up, it was extremely powerful. I was able to create interesting events in XML alone.
    • It was a lot of fun. This is the first time that I’ve tried something like this, and the experience was awesome. I usually find it really hard to get motivated, but being surrounded by people doing the same thing is awesome.

    What went wrong?

    • Simply not enough time to put in the content. After getting the graphics and code finished, I didn’t have enough time to put together a fun game. There were actually a lot of features in the game that I had ready but that I didn’t even get a chance to put into the game. For example, there were obtainable items that could be picked up off the ground.
    • There were some bugs that I knew about but did not have time to fix. The major one that everybody who plays the game fully will encounter is that doors appear on the wrong layer when you come at them from the top. To fix this, closed doors need to be two separate images in two separate layers, one underneath the player and one above.
    • The code was really messy. It all worked, and there aren’t too many bugs, but I would not like to maintain this code after the event – if I do continue to work on this game, I’ll be cleaning up and redesigning the code to make extending the game easier.
    • I ran out of caffeine.

    All posts, images, and comments are owned by their creators.

    [cache: storing page]