Whew! What a ride! What an experience! And above all: what a game! I’m extremely satisfied how well my first Ludum Dare went. My game, called “I Am A Ninja”, though short, does not have too many bugs, is fun to play, has a nice graphical style, even does some character building… it just looks done. Here it is! Click the screenshot to play!
Screenshot of my game "I Am A Ninja". Click it to play!
Yesterday I collected a list of things that had to be done today, and in part thanks to luck (not getting stuck on tricky bugs), in part to good planning, I got through them all.
I started with adding a storyline to fit in with the theme. Well, maybe it’s not so much a story as it is a character and his characterization… but it fits, nonetheless. Unfortunately it is told through text only and does not integrate with the gameplay.
I then drew up some instruction graphics to stick at the bottom of the page. Unobtrusive, but there when you need them. On smaller screens they’ll be below the fold, but I think that price is worth paying for not slapping the instructions into the player’s face.
Then came the most challenging and fun bit: drawing animations. I’d never done this before, but as my character is just a 32 by 32 pixel silhouette it was over almost before I got started, and it looks nice. The animations are packed into a single 128 by 128 image, with 4-frame animations for each of 4 states (standing, walking, swinging, falling). The protagonist is actually the only sprite in the game; all the other things are pure canvas geometry. (There’s one more image for the noise overlay and another for the instructions.)
Then I built two more levels, for a total of three. My brother’s playtesting shows that an experienced gamer can get through in about 10-15 minutes, which is perfect for a game of this scope. However, when building levels I really don’t have a clue what I’m doing… I just throw stuff together randomly with some regard to how difficult I think it would be. I have little to no experience in this area, and I hope it doesn’t show too much.
The same goes for sound effects. If there’s one thing I don’t like about my game, it’s those: they don’t fit in at all with the style. But without a decent microphone, I was stuck with bfxr, which makes all games sound like the MS-DOS era. I wonder if it would have been better to have no sound at all. On the bright side, I just noticed that sound does not work at all in Firefox, so I get some A/B testing for free!
With just a few hours left, I turned to polishing. The first step was a dying animation; simply making the player disappear would not do. So I added a simple particle ‘engine’ and made the character fall apart into a bunch of white sticks when he dies. Combined with the sound effect (one of the better ones), it really gets the idea of “painful” across.
Then, once I had the particle system anyway, I reused it to make the hero leave behind a trail of sparkles. When swinging through the room on your rope, this gives a really nice effect. I initially tried for a black smoke cloud instead, but that just came out looking as a cartoon-like cloud of smelliness.
Finally, I added a nice animation for the end of a level, sucking the player into the vortex. Turns out, it’s quite tricky to tie this into the physics: your standard Newtonian mechanics just end up in oscillations. Some friction that increases near the centre of the vortex did the trick nicely.
The finishing touch was to replace some jQuery show() and hide() calls by fadeIn() and fadeOut(). It makes everything feel so much smoother.
And that’s it! Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy my game as much as I did making it!