I work as a Web Developer to pay the rent, but I secretly hope someday I will switch to full-time game development.
About kumber (twitter: @kumber1)
Archive for the ‘LD #22’ Category
I made a post-compo version of my entry, with modifications suggested by commenters:
- added sound effects
- added music (ambient sounds, actually)
- small fixes in walking animation
- small fixes in gfx: exit doors became orange/red, also you see part of the room when the door is open
- gameplay fixes: player health was replenished at the start of a level, now it is maintained through the game
Thanks to CplMustard, merthsoft, jfroco, dr_soda, Thomas, Benjamin for their insightful suggestions!
My first thought when I read the theme was “exploring an old house alone, at night”. I played too much “Alone in the Dark” in my days… And I wanted a similar game, but in 2D. So I choosed the “survival horror” genre.
What went right:
- Programming tools: I had no problem with the usual write-build-compile-play-debug workflow
- Chronolapse was very good for the screen capture (see timelapse here)
- I was more focused than the last time
- It was really fun!
- The game is maybe too easy to beat
- Jumps are a little innatural. By design the player should be able to jump a single zombie coming in his direction, and this works, but the feel is not right.
- Animations could be improved: for example, the legs in the player-walking animation
- Colors of the platforms: I wanted to represent a wooden floor at night, tried several colors, and at last settled on blue/purple, but I really don’t like it (it seems too shiny)
- I lost too much time thinking about the game (or, “thinking if the game was right”); I should think about the game before the start of the competition…
- The time ran out and I missed the sound effects and the music; with a theme like this they could really make the difference
I don’t believe it! I really finished the game and this time seems fun to play
However, I didn’t have time to add music and sound effects. Maybe I’ll add them in a post-compo version…
The entry (source and web version) is here. Now I go to sleep
Just had a little beer time
I lost about two hours due to overwhelming panic… I was working on an idea, but suddenly I was stroke by its boringness.
However now it don’t seem so boring (and, I haven’t though of anything else as a substitute). I’m back to work
It’s twelve o’clock here in Italy (LD is from saturday 3:00 am to monday 2:59 am, according to local time), about 9 hours passed.
It’s twelve o’clock and I didn’t come with a feasible idea yet.
Oh well… It will come.
To be honest I had some, but there are, like, a zillion platformer where the player is alone (or based on “loneliness”). Not so original. So I’m searching for something more original.