Ludum Dare 22
Archive for the ‘LD #22’ Category
So finally, after a week of trying to use multitouch (I thought it would be much easier!), I have the Andriod version for you to try. The only differences with the PC version are touch controls (during the compo we used this instead), a logo, some more boxes laying around and subtle changes you won’t notice.
What went right?
- Blender, Python and Inkscape, our favourite tools, are awesome. Once you know how to use them, you do work much faster than with other equivalent tools. Frequently we used Blender’s Python console or did scripts of around 5 lines which did a lot of repetitive tasks for us.
- Gamekit is an awesome game engine which allowed us to use .blend files as-is without any conversion. It’s like Blender Game Engine but with a free non-viral license and it uses Lua instead of Python (and no “logic bricks” needed, it was a pain to debug this BGE demo). We use the C++ API directly with some Python bindings I’ve been doing in the past months, which allowed me to hack any part of the engine if needed. Since the source is available I could compete in the compo (if I was going solo). I’ve published all the code although it’s not needed for the jam.
- We started a project which we’ll further develop into a full, fun and challenging game for iOS, Android and PC. We have other projects but this one will have a shorter development time.
- Collision detection! Bullet is an awesome physics engine but it’s not as well integrated with Gamekit as with the Blender Game Engine. We expected too much of the BGE features to be available for gamekit. I’ll have to fix most of the issues by myself, now that I’m more familiarized with the code (and we need it in order to finish our games). I’ve spent too much time trying to work around the limitations, without success. It needs a proper fix (and I’m on it).
- Creative block. Julio didn’t know how to make levels for a whole day (also he went to a rehearsal of his band, he’s the keyboardist)
- Level design and quirky physic. Unlike other attempts at plataforming I’ve made, this time the mechanics relied too much on physics, and I spent so much time fine-tuning it that we didn’t test a proper gameplay with AI. Even worse, the test level looked like this until the last hours:
The art were being done separately, and that included the level design, where the floor is not as flat as in the tests. Therefore the speed while walking is too variable.
Get APK here or Windows/Linux version here.
Resolution 800×480 (from Android version)
>>> Video progress 1 <<<
After we decided what to do, I did the thing in the right while my friend was on the bed (designing and dreaming at the same time), then we switched places and he did the thing on the left and the androids.