I work as game dev in an indie game company, Motion Twin :)
About deepnight (twitter: @deepnightfr)
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 22
Ludum Dare 21
Ludum Dare 20
Ludum Dare 19
Archive for the ‘LD #22’ Category
I posted an extended version of my game. It only adds a difficulty setting, because most people found it too hard Yes, it IS actually very hard. But I wanted to make something more challenging and intense this time: it serves the ambient a lot to emphasize emotions (being chased and put on edge).
What went right:
- the animations: painting a dog walking was quite an amazing challenge to me, especially as Photoshop lacks good animation tools (unlike GraphicsGale). But I’m very proud of the result
- the particles: it was really quick to add fx in the game, I used a previous lib I made for the LD20,
- the gameplay: there is pro/cons about that, but compared to the previous versions I add during the weekend, the result works fine (not great but hey)
What went wrong:
- the difficulty: insanely high and lacks a good progression, fixed in extended version
- the music: when I added the “being chased” gameplay, the calm and moody music became awkward; it was not fitting at all anymore… But I kept it.
- the SFX: I like DrPepper’s SFXR a lot, but it tends to be repetitive after 4 LD entries… I definitely have to dig the Sfx question before next LD!
- the final sequence! I spent like 2-3 hours on it, and the high difficulty made it hard to actually see T_T
I’m totally exhausted : it’s 4:45am here in France… The game is a little hard (like any hardcore platformer should be, hey!) but I hope it won’t be too disheartening.. The game looks almost like I imagined it, but I regret the audio part: took me too much time and wasn’t especially pleasant.
Finished the intro cinematic! And yes, you DO play a dog.
I have a very hard time with the story-telling thing right now, so I guess I really need some sleep T_T
I’m pretty happy with the current result, in term of gfx :
You can actually move, jump, grab and be a cute puppy right now.
Very annoying to make it feel right, but it’s done, it’s just great!
Just woke up, batteries are full, got coffee. Ready to take on the next part : lightnings!
I’m pretty happy with the result, but it took way too long to paint :-/
Let’s get back on coding & gameplay!
(click to focus, use ARROW keys to move around)
Working on the main character. Yes it’s actually a dog
Actually, you can ONLY jump using UP arrow key, and obey gravity. That’s it!
Well. “Alone” was, by itself, the kind of theme that directs you to a moody/hard game. Adding a “mood” category was definitely not necessary and will for sure bring like EVERYONE to make a hard game. It becomes pretty “dangerous” (in term of ranking) to do something original with this theme.
Not a good decision, for sure.
My idea is not clear yet, but I will definitely make something about someone getting trapped in some sort of cave, trying to literally survive down there. This means :
- no enemy,
- no one to help,
- you need to find food, water, a safe place to sleep..etc.
- you may craft a few useful tools for your survival needs.
Hi folks! Fourth participation here and I will do my very best to make something nice So much energy down here, on this blog!
Good luck everybody and be the inspiration be with you (>°_°)>
My previous entries : here
EDIT : forgot the usual details on my project!
- code : Flash/Haxe (see: www.haxe.org)
- gfx : Photoshop
- sound : SFXr probably
- code IDE : Flashdevelop
- drugs : nespresso coffee mostly