About agersant (twitter: @agersant)
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 22
Ludum Dare 21
Archive for the ‘LD #22’ Category
Last weekend I made a compo entry called Castaway.
If you speak French, you might want to read my lengthy writeup on Les Forges. Else, here are the traditional bullet point lists :
What went well
- Using familiar tools (custom framework, FlashDevelop, HaXe, Photoshop, Reason, etc.)
- Using project management techniques and tools. I used Asana to handle my ever growing todo list and a mini scrumboard for tracking bugs. Pictures at the end of this post.
- Recording custom sound effects. This was my first time and I’m very happy with the result (especially since it didnt take long). Picture below.
- Testing. Two friends came on Sunday evening and played the game again and again to spot bugs. They were the one writing the scrum post-it and it was very useful.
- Chronolapse. Making a timelapse took no effort and I love the end result.
What went not so well
- Theme. I did not think long enough of the theme and started working without a clear idea of what my game would be.
- Time management. I spent too much time working on animations and art assets instead of making content. Look at this 8 frames walk cycle : . This is wasted time, lots of it.
- Balancing. The game is way too hard ; my testers thought it was funny because of it but I should have considered this as alarming.
- Oops. A critical bug that crashes the game on slow computer was shipped in the compo version. Maybe the test configuration should include a slow computer too.
Bug tracking scrumboard
Sound design tools
Even though my game is way too hard, too short and unforgiving, I’m still happy with what I did. I am satisfied I made some art and music that were not 8bit/chiptune over the course of the weekend and more importantly, I had lots of fun. Next time, I will NOT make a sidescrolling platformer, that’s my objective.
Thank you all for reading/playing/rating !
I havent posted an update in a while but things have been going nicely during the last few hours.
The game has a beginning, an end and everything in between.
Music and sounds
Also, food :
I now have a functional game with very few features except cool animations >.<
I’m not sure where it’s going but here is a Work in Progress of my entry. Photoshop only so far, will being coding as soon as I get a sharper idea of my game.
I hope you like it =)
I removed 3kg of dust from my desk, it feels so good <3
I’m glad to say I’ll be entering LD22 this weekend, this is my 2nd LD and I hope it will be as much fun as the previous one. I am already super tired but it will hopefully help me having creative ideas =)
Here are the tools I will be using :
- HaXe (with FlashDevelop )
- Bacchus 0.2.2 (personnal framework) – download here
- Adobe Photoshop CS3
- Propellerhead’s Reason (and possibly Records)
- BMFont (if needed)
- Tiled (if needed)
- BFXR (if needed)
I have already done the mandatory junk food shopping, I have created a new Bacchus project, tested BMFont and prepared a web page ready to be filled with release notes. Now I need to clean my desktop and tune my guitar before I can take a nap.
Good luck to you all!