Ludum Dare 19
Archive for the ‘LD #19 – Discovery – 2010’ Category
I’ve finally caught up with the sleeps, so thought I’d post a summary filling in the missing time, when I was busy crunching the last 10 hours and unable to post. To summarise the progress, and to try and make up for the fact that I couldn’t do a video timelapse, here are playable snapshot web builds showing my progress throughout the 48 hours. I only managed a mere 26 hours to dedicate to LD, due to other commitments but I had a blast! My work pattern can be shown in the following gif I just put together. ^^
Click on a thumbnail below to play a Unity web build of the development snapshot at the time:
Hope you like. Drop me a comment on my entry page.
Missed my last update, coming along alright, just got to finish up the gameplay flow. Then work on level layout and props.
Some playable snapshot builds:
Well it’s day 2, and I’m still pumped! That could be the espressos talking, I’ve had like 5 already – blazin!
I’ve decided to seriously refactor my initial idea, the art assets would have taken far too long. I’m now going for a more abstract, floaty around in space thing. Had some folks playtest the game last night and have refactored the controls to be more user friendly, the game is now playable with just a mouse. \o/
Here’s my third (Hour 36) playable web (unity) build: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7899005/LD19/HR36/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html
12 HOURS LEFT OHGOD-OHGOD-OHGOD!
Hour 18 update I think. Got a placeholder action menu in now, not sure if it’s going to work. I didn’t want a static one, but this one changes with the players rotation. No conflict in yet, but the player can fly around, scan the area to discover hidden PSIENC reserves and then harvest them with the other vacuum command.
Second playable build: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7899005/LD19/HR18/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html
Controls: Mouse, left click and hold to perform action over command circles. Arrow/wasd keys to move, right mouse to boost.
Happy Ludum Dare everyone!
I’ve been at it for like 7 hours now. Taking a short break to write up the progress blargs.
Here’s my initial brainstorming thoughts at 6am:
Initial Thoughts: mgs/stealth, space/underwater, discovery of interactions with world, lost, treasure/gold, science/knowledge, archaeology
Top down zone exploration. Collect PSIENC to discover fantastical new world changing technologies. Beware the PSUITS though; they will cut your budget! With lazers.
and here’s my expanded notes list for anyone who wants a peek:
- Fly around space collecting PSIENC.
- Avoid or attack enemies.
- Enemies gather around PSIENC hotspots.
- New technologies are discovered as you collect more PSIENC.
- Enemies become more aware of you as you discover more technologies. More aggressive.
Possible Intro Speech/Text
- Welcome UNIT 19. Our PSIENC defence budget has been cut again, so we can’t afford video coms. We still have the intergalactic SPACEMAFONE though!
- Right, let’s get cracking UNIT 19. You are currently piloting a remote drone in some random region of space-hammer-time.
- It appears you have a hole in you UNIT 19, you will leak PSIENC if you don’t get that patched up soon.
- Our long range scans have just picked up a strong PSUIT presence in your area. They must be after the PSIENC!
- If your are spotted they will sap your PSIENC reserves. If you are empty, it’s GAME OVER pilot!
- We can’t let them get their hands on it UNIT 19… FOR THE GOOD!
Starting tech: SPACE VACUUM – Suck up nearby PSIENC.
Asset Description: Inward Particles!
Tech idea: SPACE PING – Help locate the nearest PSIENC deposit.
Asset Description: When activated, a short radar wave will appear from center of ship, then fade out. Arrow will appear to show direction of nearest deposits.
Tech idea: CORPORAL LAZER – Fight back!
Asset Description: Todo.
Tech idea: TIN FOIL HAT – Temporary resistance to PSUIT EMPEENE damage.
Asset Description: An actual hat.
Tech idea: SHINY SUIT – Go off the radar. You Sneaky pony you.
Asset Description: Cloaking/distortion effect over ship.
Tech idea: FFFUSICS BOMB – trap your target in a ball of musics.
Asset Description: H-bomb style. Harmony that is!
Tech idea: HARDON POUNDER – a beam of accelerated awesomesauce.
Asset Description: Suck up some stuff then PEEWWWWYAAAAWOW.
Basic Gameplay Controls
Left Mouse – Activate selected PSIENC discovery.
Right Mouse – Short speed burst – removes attached drones.
WASD/Arrows – Thrusters
- UNIT 19 Ship Model.
- PSIENC pickup.
- Asteroid props.
- Planet props.
- PSUIT Drone. – Attaches to player, sapping PSIENC reserves.
- EMPEENE PSUIT Drone. – If close lets off an emp pulse, that stuns player.
- PSUIT Fighter. – Fires a PSIENC sapping laser at the player.
- PSUIT Mother Ship. – Launches a stream of fighters, fighters will return here if they are damaged.
- Tech Effect Assets.
- Visual Sound Effects.
Still just getting the basic gameplay systems operational. My screencap software is not working so am just going to do playable build snapshots every x amount of hours. The first one: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7899005/LD19/HR12/WebPlayer.html
This is my first LD, I’m pumped! Weapon of choice will probably be unity pro with some backup from blender, zbrush and photoshop. Hell, I might even manage to squeeze in some node.js and php. No basecode to declare but I might use the EZGUI unity middleware for convenience.
hoohoo, I just installed lsdj on my psp so will be making everyone suffer with my newb chipbeats!