A dad of two lovely children. Game Programmer @ Muskedunder Interactive
About drZool (twitter: @drZool)
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 22
Ludum Dare 19
Ludum Dare 15
Archive for the ‘LD #19 – Discovery – 2010’ Category
What went right
Pixels! I love pixels, I first started to animate the characters in flash, but somehow the animations went berserk and I decided to go with pixels instead. They turned out nice. I imported pngs and animated them in flash.
Tiled. An open source tile editor I’ve used before. Implementation if the fileformat went smoothly and the editor is pretty easy to handle although it has it’s quirks. If you download Tiles you can modify the game by opening data/map_0.tmx (make sure to set Tiled to save xml files and not binary).
Mapsize. I made a map that is 100 x 100 tiles. I was afraid that it would slow the game down but I think it has not. the size did make the theme more applyable.
Flash Develop. My choice of IDE for coding flash applications/games. It aids you oodles in code-generation, hints and snippets.
What went wrong
Discovery theme. I planned for key/lock gameplay but only managed secrets and crate-opening as discovery-elements. Although there is one weapon pickup.
Music. I don’t know how so it’s usually left out in my games.
I forgot to add the 3rd party librarys in my source-dist. But fear not here they are.
Play & rate my game here: Dr Discovery
Still got lots of stuff todo, but Im happy with the graphics so far. Next up: Loot!
I focus on polish this LD, gameplay is second
I have base thing working, 2d tilemap, using Tiled as editor, animated characters, although these are just placeholders. Working collision&response, Sound, Camera, Input and you can shoot the Thugs! What about that! I also managed to purcase a x-mas-tree and play some Black-OPS today!
Click to play in your browser! Arrows + Z.
Im off to bed!