About Getterac7 (twitter: @Getterac7)
I decided at the last minute that I wanted to try my hand at straight LWJGL and 3D (which I have never done before). This was probably a mistake. Normally I have Slick2D to help with the heavy lifting.
So after three hours of fiddling with OpenGL settings, I finally have TTF text on the screen as well as a first person camera. Woo!
The font (Fifteen Okay) is a freeware font I found online. I hope we aren’t expected to make our own fonts from scratch.
My last update before submissions are due.
This is my tile map that I got working last night. I can create new levels in TilED and easily import them into my game.
About 20 minutes ago I got the collision box generation working. You can sort of see how my tile graphics are designed in this shot.
I obviously won’t have a working game done in the next 35 minutes, but it was a valiant effort I believe. What was missing before I would consider this a game:
- Collision detection and response.
- Enemies with some basic pathfinding / AI.
- The main gameplay element: mind controlling the enemy.
Let me do a re-cap on what went right and what didn’t go according to plan:
- The Spartan framework along with Slick2D was great for getting a jump start on the simple stuff. In a few hours I had a game shell with splash screen, moving player, camera focus, and mouse rotation.
- TilED was great for designing levels. I had a basic arena map done in a matter of minutes.
- GraphicsGale saved me when GIMP was repeatedly crashing.
- I hadn’t thoroughly used the Spartan framework, so I was unsure how to go about creating new modules for game Entities (Actors). When it came time to add enemies and pathfinding, I was completely stumped.
- I hadn’t ever used Slick2d’s TilED loader before. It took me some time to figure out how to use and manipulate the tile map once I had it in my game.
- I hadn’t ever drawn tileset graphics before. I wasted a bunch of time drawing and redrawing tile graphics to get something usable. Also GIMP crashed on me quite a few times, ruining my work.
The moral of the story seems to be: know your tools and libraries. Much time could have been saved if I didn’t need to fumble around with the tool or dig through the API docs.
Maybe next time I will put together something playable!
So, 21 hours into LD18 and here is what I have to show for it:
It may not look like much, but that is the start of a game.
I have functioning:
- Sprite sheets and animations.
- Action system and input bindings for actions. This also ties to the animation system.
- Attaching/removing actions for objects. This lets me switch controls to different objects when the player mind controls an enemy.
- Camera follow attachment. This lets me focus the camera on any object.
- Mouse aim / character rotation.
Major things left to do:
- Tile map loading.
- Collision detection.
- Enemy AI.
Hopefully I can get something playable in the next 12 hours.
I’ve been brainstorming ideas for the first 3.5 hours. I decided to go with Idea #3 (Mind Control).
Basic game will be a top-down arena shooter. Player can mind control one nearby enemy at a time, but the catch is that the player can’t move while doing mind control. Will hopefully make for some interesting hit-and-run gameplay.
Hey all. Long time lurker here. This will be my first official entry into the Ludum Dare compo.
Some tools I will be bringing with me on this journey:
- Java + Web Start
- XML for configurations (hopefully)
- CamStudio with DivX output
- A local Git repository