About vonzippenstein (twitter: @vonzippenstein)
The "Runs Under WINE" Award
Awarded by Raptor85
on January 8, 2012
Because why not. Sure some great games came out yesterday. They’ll still be there after this weekend is over. There’s only gonna be one LD29. So I am in for the solo comp. Maybe one of these years I’ll actually finish.
- Game Maker Studio (art/programming)
- LabChirp (audio)
- Korg MS2000 (music)
- Game Maker Studio
- Labchirp or Bfxr
- Mixcraft or Milkytracker
- Trying out Pickle
- Lots of NyQuil
It never works out. Never finish in time. So why do I keep doing this to myself? There’s a hope that if I just keep at it that eventually I’ll make something great. Right? I hope so.
No idea what I’m going to use. Either GM, Love2D, SDL. Most likely Game Maker Studio so I can make a web version. Though Love2D now has a web plugin for chrome.
- Step 1: Download LÖVELINESS from the chrome store.
- Step 2: Enable the “Native Client” flag in your browser: chrome://flags/
- Step 3: Tryout this Love2D Tetris game I made a while back: VZTetris
- Controls are the arrow keys and the enter key to restart.
Edit: Also, if you make a game with GM: Studio you can put it on mobile. Here’s my entry for LD25 on iPhone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyD4VuKkAQ8
This will be my third attempt. My previous game ran long and I couldn’t make it within the comp time constraints Even with the jam’s extra day I failed to add proper game objectives, ending, music, or coordinate the theme but I haven’t given up. Just gotta stay focused and spend less time experimenting with game interface and inconsequential effects. I’m going to be using the same setup as LD25.
*Game Maker Studio http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio
*PXTone Collage http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_musictools.php
Good luck everyone. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.
This was my first Ludum Dare. Really this is my first time ever making a game in such time constraints. Our game is OUTPOST_NULL. It was created by a team of two, Delko and VonZippenstein, for the jam.
What went right: We planned this game around the theme and focused on making it atmospheric. The sound effects came out pretty good and the 3D art looks amazing. The collisions, computer text effect, and the doors are all perfectly functional. The 2D to 3D stage editor turned out great.
What went wrong: We knew that 3D in this time limit was risky but did it anyway. I spent the first two days working on the collisions and the moon surface and star effects, but in the end only used the moon as an ending screen and the collisions didn’t work right with the new 3D models. Really all the work was finished on the last day. The models took 2 days to create and when they were finished is when actually creating the game could begin. I got the models Sunday night, stayed up all night making a map editor, and didn’t sleep until it was submitted 9pm Monday. Due to the time constraints not all of models, stages, and gameplay could been added and there was no time for play testing.
Even with everything we had to cut I still think it turned out pretty decent.