About vidarn (twitter: @vidarn)
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 23
The Actually Compiled My Game On Linux Award
Awarded by Dietrich Epp on August 28, 2012
I didn’t get much sleep last night so here’s a rather incoherent mini post-mortem of my game Super Neo Tektropolis.
I knew beforehand that I wanted to do some kind of platform or action game mainly becouse I wanted to play with Box2D and I wanted something a bit more fast paced than my previous LD entries.
I had planned on using clanlib (the game is written in c++) but when doing some preliminary testing I could not get cross compiling for windows (with minGW) to work. Being able to cross compile is great so I looked around for another graphics library. I finally settled on SFML 2 and looking back it feels like a great choice.
In the end I have mixed feelings about the game. It feels like the it’s missing some sense of progression. I went for infinitely sized procedural levels but they turned out quite boring and monotonous I’m afraid. However, the enemies and the controls feel pretty good and I’m overall happy with the graphics. There are some parts that I really like and there are some parts that look pretty bad, but you can’t be too picky with a 48 hour game I guess.
The theme was a surprise to me. I hadn’t really noticed it when voting and wasn’t prepared for it at all (but to be honest, when are you ever ready for the ludum dare themes?) so I went with the lame aproach of “I’ll make the graphics simplistic and consider that the minimalistic part of my game”. Coming up with an unique take of the theme can be challenging but I had a hard enough time finishing the game anyway so I didn’t even try.
All in all I had a great time. A friend of mine also participated in the compo (check out his game, Super Monster Attack) and I spent the weekend at their place. Having someone to talk to, even if they are too absorbed in their own game to really listen, is great and I don’t think making the game would have been nearly as fun if I had been alone at home.
Anyway, enough rambling. I’ve got some Ludum Dare games to play.
I’ll be doing another attempt at targeting the original Game Boy (DMG).
I’ve coded for the Game Boy during LD before but this time I’ll be using C instead of ASM, which hopefully will mean a faster development pace.
I’m planning on using the following tools:
GBDK – Compiler
GrafX2 – Sprite editor
Tiled – Map editor
I’ve written some skeleton code and a few simple tools for converting images and maps to a Game Boy-compatible format. They’re hosted on github here:
It wasn’t intentional, but I started realizing all my randomly generated monsters looked pretty … stupid. However, I kind of like it, and because the time was running short I figured the best thing to do was to embrace the derpyness.
The game is “done” now and you can find it here.
I’ll be using Löve, grafx2 and Tiled.
As usual my main goal is to actually get a playable game done this time… :/
I’ll be coding assembly for the original Game Boy (DMG) this time. I’ll make sure that the rom at least runs on the emulators “gambatte” and “visual boy advance” (as well as on the real hardware of course)
I’ve participated twice before without finishing, so I guess my goal this time is to try and actually have something to release when the compo is over.
I’ll be using some tools and helper functions I’ve written before for things like loading images and maps. You can find it on github here: https://github.com/vidarn/rgbasm-dmg
Oh, and to warm myself up I’ve written a little intro/scroller:
Planning on using c++ with SDL this time.
All right, here’s a screen from my game.
The concept is this, a level consists of several blocks, some “characters” and a lot of strings that connect them to each other. The strings are elastic and the player has got a scissor, and can therefore cut them, thus launchin the characters in sore direction (hopefully towards the goal).
I hav got a lot of work to do, the game is far from playable (maybe shouldn’t have picked an idea with that much physics in it…).