Love games from the day my dad bought the Videopac G7000 and Atari 2600. Made Terror and War for the iPhone.
About Thurig (twitter: @smallgaming)
It is time for me to release a new game! This game will be for iOS, since I already have an account setup for it. The hard part is, which game will I release. I have several options:
- A puzzle game for the iPhone I have been working on, but something is not right with it. The UX is not good enough. Also I don’t know if I can fix a broken game within a month.
- A kid’s math game for my daughter and son. I want the game which my daughter can play with her mom or me. The game must be a tool to learn numbers, figures and colours. The math game for my son will teach divisional. He is a bit older and can play without our help.
- An arcade like game. It is a mix of Missile Command and an endless runner.
After Wednesday I will know which game I will be working.
Good luck to everyone who accepted the OC!
What went not so well:
- The first versions of the game did not work with Chrome.
What went well:
- Everything I did not mentioned above.
I would like to thank Metaldemon for pointing out the bugs in Chrome, Ratking for hosting and my son for helping out with the sounds and feedback.
You can find the entry here:
When reading the announcement for this miniLD I know what I had to make. It is a not-game about my weirdest moment on the toilet.. The day I lay knocked-out because I putted to must pressure on my bowels and brains and the brains shut down for n amount of time. I have no clue how long I was out. This all happened because I was recovering from active Crohn’s disease. I written more about living with Crohn’s disease and you can read it on this blog.
Here is the result from day one:
I am not done with the logica. I hope to finish it soon. Also, I don’t know if it works in IE.
PostMortem: Adventurers Evolution – a family game
Adventurers Evolution is my first Ludum Dare entry. I loved every minute of it and now during the rating still do. My game, Adventurers Evolution, is a little dedication to family life with some personal feelings and a request from my son in the mix.
The main menu of Adventurers Evolution has a tree on it. I am not someone to make art, but I tried to draw a young tree. I have a young family. My son is 7 and my girl is 4 years old (maybe there will be pink ponies and purple kittens in a game at her request). So that is what the tree stands for.
Thijn, My Son
My son loves video games and he is just like me when I was his age. I am very proud of my son. What makes me so proud is he can do the basic things like reading, math and his vocal expression so much better then I could when I was his age. He exceeded me in many ways and I hope will do the same in years to come. So when he came to me a month ago with the request to make a game where he could kill zombies with a lightsaber, I promised to make a game where he could kill zombies. The lightsaber part I was not so sure of at the time. Now you know why there are zombies in Adventurers Evolution and the story behind it.
So the weird battle system of Adventurers Evolution, where must I begin. You walk around and there are zombies just standing. So, is there really a reason to fight? Yup, because zombies will go and eat your family. I just did not had time to program some AI. If I did try to write some AI, I would not had time to finish the game at all. I chosen to make a simple battle system. The formula is something like this: damage = defense – (attack + strength+(random with the max of 2)). All fights are till someone dies. The player can not win the game, so you will always die. That is not a bad thing, because your child will follow up. All you want to do is protect your family against the zombies and avenge your fallen dad. If you love your family, would you not die protecting them if there was no other way? My personal feelings tell me I would. Too bad I did not balance the game a bit more, because the zombies will pull your head off anyways now:-)
Dar for the win
“Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going?” is a painting by Paul Gauguin. He was a French artist. The questions which make up the name of the painting are important to us. Evolution has influence on those questions, but also the path and role we choose for ourselves. Parents have great influence on their kids. That’s why I wanted the player to pick from 3 lovely ladies. Picking the wrong lady in the early generation can have an impact on later generations. Don’t you want your kids to have a better start then you did? I do.
What went wrong?
- Wife had her birthday, so my focus was not super.
- Kids monkeying around next to my ear. They just kept breaking my concentration. Lucky for me it was only a few hours on Saturday morning this happened. They were exciting for the party.
- Made new bugs because I rewrote code.
- Some bug in Action Script which made removing of a bitmap impossible.
- There was a bug with the zombies and it toke too long to fix it.
- WAV files converted to MP3 on the Mac did not work as expected. So I had to convert those on my PC.
- I really wanted battle output in the game, but all the above made me skip it.
- Next time I am using Dropbox instead of my email to get files from my Mac to my PC.
- I used a free version of FDT, so I can only do caveman debugging. I just really missed using breakpoints and stepping through code.
What went right?
_ I read the book of McFunkypants.
- All the tools were ready to go do their job. I tested all days before.
- Kept all things I am not good at simple, KISS!
- Took enough breaks and walked away from the mac.
- Eat well.
- Drink well.
- Slept well.
- Discard my first idea for the evolution theme, which I thought of the day before.
- Stick with the new idea and removed things I did not think to be necessary.
- Wrote a framework and used it as the base for the game.
- Used FDT to write the framework, because I never used FDT before. I just wanted an IDE to write AS3 code.
- Started with pen and paper.
I want to finish by thanking everyone who left a comment. I really like to have feedback on adventurers Evolution. I am not done with Adventurers Evolution, yet. If you have not played it: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-24/?action=preview&uid=14830 please do!
First all those posts about Game Jams, then his book I read. I just had to get first hand experience. Too bad I will have very limited time Saturday because of a birthday. Still having fun while doing this seems key!
IDE: FDT 5
Graphics: pen and paper, GIMP
Level editor: TILED
Texture Atlas: Texture Atlas Generator
Language: Action Script 3
Framework: Home made framework
Timelapse: Automator with a bash script
About the framework. I started on it this month. The purpose of this framework is to make prototypes fast. Most people I know can run a flash application. So it made sense to make this framework in Action Script 3. The framework is far from finished.
I am using an altered version of the animation class which is described here. So all credits for this class goes to Pixelpracht.
As an example I add some frames taken from http://2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.nl/2011/12/game-assets.html It is a free Block Buddies Dummy.