About The Jahn
Ludum Dare 27
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 22
The Jahn's Trophies
The Jahn's Archive
Probably goes without saying at this point. I’m always in.
Different tools this time though.
Code: C++ with SFML
Visuals: Photoshop maybe
Have fun everyone!
And everything went better than expected!
Good job, everyone! Can’t wait to play your games!
Also if this is slow for anyone please let me know.
Probably going to be using FlashDevelop/FlashPunk again with Photoshop for graphics, BFXR and Renoise for sound, and WinLAME for conversion.
Super excited guys. Good luck!
… explicitly for the purpose of “loving” or “liking” or “hearting” or whatevering nifty-looking games.
And you know what? You should too. Help motivate your game making brethren to the finish line!
Share the love!
Left, right, and up are the keys you need to know.
But I think I’ve got a decent idea. Good luck, everybody!
Same tools as always.
Code: FlashDevelop, FlashPunk
Sounds: [S|B]FXR, and winLame for converting everything to their proper formats.
GOOD LUCK, EVERYBODY! Let’s make some fuckin’ games!
FlashDevelop, FlashPunk, Photoshop, BFXR, Renoise, and WinLAME.
Good luck everybody!
The idea :
A vertical SHMUP with procedurally-generated enemies undergoing natural selection.
What went right?
- Planning : I had a solid idea of where I wanted to go with the game from the start – I followed through with that idea to the end, only changing the cosmetics of it.
- Taking Risks : I’d never created a shmup, or implemented a genetic algorithm of any kind before. I didn’t fall back to my comfort zone when things got tough – I stuck with it and learned a lot in the process.
- Implementation : I worked out what kinds of classes would be necessary for the game at the beginning, and implemented/tested all of them before starting. This ground up approach helped me maintain a grasp on the scope.
What went wrong?
- Organization : It seems the deadline got the best of me, as towards the end I started throwing quick hacks into wherever I could to get things working. This resulted in a chaotic mess of unreadable code – code which probably could have saved me time working with if it had been more cleanly organized.
- Playtesting : I got so caught up in finishing the game that I forgot the most important part – making sure it’s fun. I played the game, but only for the sake of debugging – not in the mindset of a player. This resulted in very unbalanced gameplay, and a poorly-executed difficulty curve.
Also, I forgot about autotracker. Definitely would have helped, as I had “musicians-block” all weekend.
If you’re interested, you can play my game Modula here.
Arrow keys move, Z and X shoot guns and missiles respectively.
Enemies are procedurally generated (kind of).
After the first level, the next generation of enemies are based upon the enemies that gave you the hardest times.
There are also some random mutations of those enemies thrown in for variety.
Basically, the enemies evolve (loosely) based on how you play.
FlashDevelop, Flashpunk, Photoshop, Renoise, BFXR, and WinLAME as usual. (;
Good luck everyone!