Ludum Dare 22
What went right:
- Built almost all of the features intended.
- Created something that is finishable and doesn’t crash.
- The ‘right’ amount of sleep.
- Had a hell of a lot of fun.
- Asset management.
- Time management.
- Overall workflow.
The first thing anyone of course notices is the lack of world GFX. This mainly falls under the time management category. I spent a good 2/3 of my total time writing the ‘engine’ and main character’s sprite leaving the remaining 1/3 to design the levels, add sound, and actually draw them pixels for the world content. T.T I really wanted to find a good chunk of 3 or 4 more hours to paint the world, tweak the mechanics, and tighten the level design. Asset management was also a big problem. My workflow was to draw art in photoshop, save out images as PNG’s, tab over to the flash IDE, import the images into the library, publish out a SWC and load it up in FDT. *_*; Can’t stress enough how much time was wasted clicking ‘save as’. It wasn’t until halfway through sunday that I started using photoshop actions etc. Too little too late.
The most fun:
- Writing the world map engine thing.
- Animatin’ dat main character and drawin dem pixels.
- Adding details ( wall slide / wall jump, clothing layers )
(all the assets used ingame, aside from the title screen)
The not so much:
- Collision engine
- Level design + testing.
- Asset management