So this is probably the first time I’ve gotten something fun in a few years. I usually end up with playable prototypes, but slowly stop working on the project for one reason or another.
This theme was probably the worst one there could be. I don’t like playing as the bad guy. I did think of a cheesy workaround, but I never put it in the game, as the “” implies.
This is also a problem for voting… A lot of the games seem to involve killing people, and also seem to have blood. I don’t exactly like those a lot.
What went right
- Graphics. When I was playing around with my prototype Friday night, I just started with a circle. Until I added the trail, it was hard to see what direction the player was going in. so, I changed the point count of the “circle” to 5 to make a pentagon. After adding a small pentagon in the front, I had a little “car” to move around. (See progress/0.png)
- Gameplay. Although I was planning on adding a few more things to the gameplay, the game itself was pretty much finished on Saturday. I also had been polishing things as I went along. Both of these were important considering the last point of “What went wrong“.
- No organization. Seriously, if you look at that code, your eyes might fall out. I specifically tried NOT organizing my code (and not using good practices… ) to see if I would make more progress, and it seemed to work. Eventually I need to organize this though…
- Difficulty + “AI”. Implementing difficulty levels was really simple. I have some base values for Easy, and then some multipliers used for harder difficulties. The “AI” is really just some random numbers for distances the cars should follow you, when they should speed up or slow down, etc.
What went wrong
I pretty much was just low on time. I was only able to work on this a few hours on Friday, and then most of Saturday. Sunday… not so much.
- Sounds. Already done.
- Better levels. The levels that generate are stillterrible, but I’ve tweaked it some to make it slightly better.
- Finished the intro screen. Already done.
- Highscore screen. Already implemented.
The entry is here, with downloads for both the compo and post-compo version.
So my AI (if you can call it that) is slightly broken, and the speed is a little too fast.
What is the result? Police cars that fly around like birds.
(How do I embed that? I thought WordPress would accept the HTML…)
This isn’t the time for a theological debate.
But I can hack what I have into being a game, so oh well.
After a few more unrelated things around the house, I implemented the player lives and obstacle collisions:
Next I need to make it do something when you run out of lives.
Not exactly a theme I like… And I’m kinda busy this weekend…
I’m using C++, SFML (2.0), my utility library, etc. etc.
I’ll try keeping all my code in a single file and see if it’s faster for development for a rough game…
This isn’t going to turn out so well, is it?
Guess I’ll try to make something for this for once… I’ve read about this before, but never really looked into it.
I’ll pretty much be using C++ and SFML. I’ve actually been using both for a few years, but I usually don’t ever finish anything. The first thing that actually got finished was Warehouse Panic (and my friend, u9, did most of the work), and I really haven’t finished anything since. I’ve gotten a couple of things close, but most things that I’ve finished are private tools for one of my parents.
This is going to be interesting since I’m going to be out of town for the whole thing (minus a few hours), and the laptop I use (Mac) isn’t exactly my favorite for programming… Oh well. I can still try.
I have some extra code lying around that I’ll probably reuse (like this), but needs to be separated from the actual project first.