About NiallM (twitter: @NiallEM)
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 21
Ludum Dare 19
Ludum Dare 18
Ludum Dare 17
Ludum Dare 16
Ludum Dare 15
The John Marin Honorarium for the Use of Unorthodox Illustration Equipment
Awarded by Doches on August 22, 2010
SMB2 Award for most underrated game Award
Awarded by allen on July 6, 2010
This is the first time I’ve ever abandoned an LD entry, but my scanner just broke and that was pretty much the final straw. I gave myself far too much work to do with this one and I just don’t have the energy to finish it by tonight. Anyway, here’s a picture of what you’re missing:
I’ll try and finish it at some point in the future if I can coax my scanner back to life, but as far as LD is concerned, I’m out.
Just got up, had some breakfast. It’s pretty cool that Evolution finally got its day in the sun after all this time.
I’ve got an idea for a game. It may well turn out to be far too ambitious, but we’ll see. Here’s the working title: The Highly Scientific Adventures of Sir Arwin Darwin, Esq.
As ever I’ll be using c++ and SDL. Base code’s here.
And since it’s been a while since I did one of these, here’s a montage of my previous games:
It took me a bit longer than I’d intended, but I’ve now uploaded a post-compo version of Dwindling Worlds. This version mainly smooths over the rough edges and adds some of the things suggested in the comments (thanks everyone who commented! ). The main changes:
- Updated title screen.
- Space will now repeat the current world’s hint.
- Tweaked the difficulty to make it easier.
- Smoothed the voiceover levels so it should be easier to make out what’s being said when the music’s playing.
- Better end sequence.
Also, I’ve updated the competition version with a fix for the crash bug that a number of people reported. At least, I think it’ll fix it; I don’t actually have a low-spec Windows machine to test it on.
Note: it relies heavily on audio, so screenshots don’t do it justice. I could upload a video, but I think that would probably spoil the game too much. I suspect you’re better off playing it without prior knowledge of the game.
I’m really pleased with how this turned out. There’s some rough edges that could still do with being smoothed out, but even so it came out better than I was expecting.
I’ll upload OSX and Linux versions tomorrow.
I spent the morning recording all sorts of sounds and making a music track for the game so it’s no longer silent. Just two things left to do now: 1.) Do a decent end screen. 2.) (ssh! it’s a secret!).
I actually managed to get most of the game pretty much finished yesterday, so I can spend all of today working on the audio and polishing it. Slightly disappointingly, I think the game might be too simple as it stands (it’s come out quite similar to those find-the-star flash games, which is unexpected), but it was always my plan to use the audio to give the whole thing context, so we’ll see how that works out.
Here’s a short, still fairly enigmatic video clip from the game as it stands:
Screenshots of this game aren’t really going to give anything away, unfortunately. This is from a finished part of the game, and the whole game is basically variations on the above shot. Maybe I should do a video at some point.
Anyway, I’ve implemented the first puzzle, and I’ve got a new motion between worlds. Hopefully I can get the rest of the puzzles implemented fairly fast; audio is going to play a big part of this game, and I want as much time as I can spare for it.
A sandwich for lunch. My bread tasted as good as it smelled
As far as my game goes, I’ve got the basic framework down and now it’s just a matter of filling it out. It’s a puzzle game of sorts, which is hardly my strong suit, but we’ll see how it goes.
Before I get back to it though, I’ll stick my bread recipe below the cut:
The bread has now risen Before and after:
And it’s now sitting in the loaf tin so it can rise some more (as you can probably see, I had a bit of a struggle getting the sticky dough into the tin; it’s a bit wonky. not that it’ll matter once it’s in the oven):
I’ll post my recipe once I’ve made a bit of headway with my game.
…and the beginnings of an idea. I haven’t quite figured out the details yet, but I think I have a fairly strong idea for a game, and it’s an idea that has incredibly minimal graphics requirements. Which will make my life easier (especially since last time I lost almost a whole day to the graphics).
Anyway, to give me some time to figure out the idea (and so I would have something tasty for lunch), I decided to make some bread. Here’s the dough waiting to rise:
Anyone else making bread? I humbly challenge you to a loaf-off
I had thought I was going to be busy this weekend, but it turns out I had my dates wrong
I’ll be using my new c++ game framework. It’s not complete yet, but it should be good enough for a jam game. The libraries it uses are SDL, SDL_image, FreeType, GLEW, and libvorbis.
You can download it here.
I’ve submitted Safari Park Escape; you can download it here.
I was way too ambitious, and it’s lacking all of the mechanics that were going to make it interesting (like individual inventories for each animal, random items, reinforcements in the battles, ranged attacks, fog of war, high scores…). But it is a complete (if limited) game, with various possible end states.
Anyway, time for bed. Not sure if I’ll come back to it to add all that stuff in (the code’s a disaster); I’ll see how I feel in the morning.