Co-founder at Shiro Games (and before at Motion-Twin), author of the Haxe programming language (http://haxe.org). My blog : http://ncannasse.fr | Twitter @ncannasse
About ncannasse (twitter: @ncannasse)
Ludum Dare 28
Ludum Dare 27
Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 22
Eating Your Own Dog Food Award
Awarded by rfgpfeiffer on August 30, 2013
The Amazing Really Big 3D Maze Award
Awarded by LeReveur on December 21, 2011
The "Trigono-maestria" award
Awarded by nSun on December 19, 2011
At last done, I will be able to get some sleep
Here’s my entry “Princess Kingdom”:
You can play it here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-28/?action=preview&uid=8497
I’m quite happy this time, everything went smoothly. I have improved my graphics and didn’t lost so much time doing them, so I could concentrate only the gameplay. The engine itself was pretty easy to write (although there’s also a small platformer included) but what was hard was to keep the game pace and make sure you don’t get stuck with nothing to do or have to wait too much. I think I got it right, but only real players will tell.
One regret, I was not able to add music for the game. I’m really bad at music, I have to get some of my friend teach me if I want to improve things in that area. I tried different things but in the end I prefer to have the same with no music instead of a bad one.
Hope you’ll enjoy the game anyway!
Hope she’ll find the only one she love.
Recruit Soldiers with Beer: checked.
Thinks are going smoothly this time. Now time to pack up content.
Spend my first 2.5 hours on graphics, I’m quite happy with the result, seems like I’m improving little by little between each LD.
Just woke up one hour go, went to the office early (it’s 7am now in France) and now I’m ready to Jam !
Already got pretty much my idea on what to do, expect a LOT of content this time since the main engine is pretty easy to do
- my beloved Haxe programming language http://haxe.org
- FlashDevelop IDE
- Graphics Gale for the sprites/animations
- LabChirp for sfx
- SunVox Synth (or something else) for the music
I wish everyone a good LD#28 !
Wouhou! Could finish everything in time! I’m glad to introduce you my LD27 Game Moonlight Running
Play and rate it here:
Epic fight indeed. Now is time for sounds/music, polish, polish and more polish.
My game this time is mainly spent on graphics. But how the f*ck am I going to animation that?
I really enjoy sliding in Megaman, now it’s possible as well in my game, youhou !
Only three hours of work, but at least I have something moving on the screen.
I’m in ! I was in Cologne for Gamescom, had great party and little sleep there, flew back to Bordeaux, had some catchup sleep and now I’m ready for #LD48 ! Not in my best condition ever, but highly motivated
Do you remember Evoland? I made this little game as part of the LD 24 Compo – the theme was Evolution.
Apart from getting good votes at the LD, he also got very good feedback with more than 300.000 people playing it (and crashing my DropBox link).
Since at that time I was creating my new indepedant games studio Shiro Games, we thought it would be nice to expand it further and make it into a full game. I’m sure you know how frustrating the LD time limit can be and how sometimes you wish to have put that and that in your game.
So after a few months of work, we are proud to announce that Evoland “HD” (to compare to the “LD” / Classic version) is now available! We got great feedback from the community when releasing our trailer early this year, which enabled us to get “greenlighted”, so the game can be downloaded on our website, but is also available on Steam and GoodOldGames.
We are very proud of it, hope you’ll enjoy it as well. HUGE thanks to the whole LD crew for their hard work, I really enjoyed all the LD I made so far, and while I will not be able to participate in the April one, you can definitely count me in for the next!
Get it on http://evoland.shirogames.com
Here’s a few screens of the game :
I was not expecting to be able to attend this LD but since my newborn little girl is sleeping very well it seems like I can make it !
I’ll be using the following tools :
- Programming : My beloved Haxe
- IDE : FlashDevelop
- Libraries : most likely none, maybe h3d/hxsl if I make things in 3D
- Graphics : GraphicsGale
- Sfx : LabChirp
- Music : SunVox Synth or Benjamin’s MML Player
Also, I’m very happy to see more and more LD games being made in Haxe, and not only by my usual ex co-workers at Motion-Twin deepnight and Benjamin
A few recent news about Haxe while we’re at it :
- The Haxe Foundation was launched on http://haxe-foundation.org , please donate if you wish to support it
- Stencyl 3.0 is entirely based on Haxe as announced here
- HaxePunk is a Haxe port of the popular FlashPunk library, and the original FlashPunk library is working on a version 2 in Haxe
Also, based on the great results from last LD, I’m currently working with some friends on a more complete version of Evoland, here’s an exclusive screenshot
You can learn more about the game on http://evoland.shirogames.com
Have a nice LD, may the goat be with you !
Wow, time is flying and I still haven’t written my post mortem, here it is !
That was my third LD, and the first one that I feel I had enough time to finish my game.
What went right :
- I was happy to quickly find the gameplay idea for my game, which really saved me a lot of time looking for ideas
- The first day spent at my (soon past) company Motion-Twin, on which I could concentrate for 15 hours, really helped me move forward
- I was able to cut content in order to have enough time for polish, but also sounds and music, which was great
- The game had very nice reception and many press coverage, which was great and really unexpected
What went wrong :
- I could only spend 10 hours the second day on the game, since I had to babysit a bit my little two years old daugther
- Due to a lot of players accessing the game, DropBox killed my public links during the night, so I had to move hosting
- I wish I had time to add a final boss and many more ideas
Actually, given the success of the game – not sure yet about LD results, but many people seems to like it – I have decided to spend some time with my new company to make a more complete version of the game, with plans to release it for PC/iPad/iPhone in a few weeks. That will be a good training ground and team building, you can follow our progress on my Twitter @ncannasse or my company @shirogames !