Ludum Dare 23
I’m a student at the University of Oklahoma and we set up a couple of teams to compete in the Jam this time around.
Originally, we were going to do it in Unity (which the other team managed to do), but difficulty with doing a 2D platformer in a 3D engine caused us to switch to the more familiar XNA. Sometime on Saturday night we all lost our minds. And gained a hilarious voiceover and story to go along with our game.
- Shifting the main character from a mad scientist to an insane professor worked really well
- Our art asset guy went crazy first and started recording dialogue for our main character late Saturday night
- The other coder decided that making the game as hard as possible was a good idea
- We got a fourth person to write our game description (who did an awesome job)
- Spaghetti code, ho!
- Collision is still very buggy
- We lost a day to Unity before we switched to XNA
Things we didn’t get to do
- There were going to be enemies and Professor Searcher was going to have a ray gun (which used his energy)
- Win condition isn’t very good, we were going to have him actually escape from the sewers rather than just collect beakers
- SCIENCE 201!: INTRODUCTION TO DIFFERENTIAL ACID BATHS AND JUMP KICKS!
We had a lot of fun doing this… but now we have to go back to the land of tests and class projects.
See ya next time, Ludum Dare.