About Lilleman (twitter: @https://twitter.com/#!/lilleman)
Finished the game, it’s a lot better than the game I made last time. The secret? Less coding and more thinking. So, here it is: The Lair!
I’m already looking forward to Ludum Dare 24 in August!
This is the second time for me. This time I’ll try to make something more advanced, see my postmortem.
I will use nearly the same tools as last time:
Graphics: Gimp/Inkscape and Pinta
Bitmap fonts: Hiero
Sound: SFXR, Audacity and maybe iNudge for some kind of background music.
This year I’ll also have some basecode (a short tutorial on how to make applets and runnable jars).
Ludum Dare 22 was the first time I actually finished a game, I made a simple zombie-survival, platformer.
What went right?
- Finished a game: I finished my first game ever.
- Familiarity with language and framework: I knew how to use Java and Libgdx, so I didn’t have to look up a lot of things on the internet.
- Audio: I recorded zombie sounds and edited them in Audacity.
What went wrong?
- Menus: I spent too much time adding menus that didn’t really add anything to the game, I should have spend that time on the story and features instead.
- Art: I should have made pixel art instead, it looks a lot better.
- Unfamiliarity with IDE: Eclipse didn’t want to package my game into a jar file, lost quite some time trying to fix it.
- Sidescrolling: I made a sidescroller without scrolling :P. I agree with the comments about my game, it was confusing.
Next time I’ll spend more time figuring out a story and adding features to the game. I’ll make pixel art and have written a tutorial for myself, so that I won’t get stuck trying to make a runnable jar. I’ll also make a timelapse video.
But the most important of all: I had fun. Even if I didn’t get very good ratings, I had a fun time making the game and I will participate in Ludum Dare 23 this weekend.
You can play my game here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22/?action=preview&uid=8385
I made it, i’ve finished a game in under 48 hours! It may be simple but this is my first game ever. I’ve had a very nice weekend and I look forward to the next Ludum Dare!