About Knighty (twitter: @MetaKnighty)
Ludum Dare 29
Ludum Dare 28
Ludum Dare 27
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 22
Ludum Dare 22 Warmup
Ludum Dare 21
Ludum Dare 20
Here’s a time-lapse for my entry. It’s probably not very exciting, but I’m posting it anyway.
Play the game here
Here’s my Ludum Dare entry.
I didn’t want to use a boring and common idea like “Beneath the surface of the Earth or water”, so it took awhile to come up with an idea I liked, and I think the game turned out pretty well.
Hello. I didn’t make a post about my LD game yet, so here it is.
I would have liked to put in more levels, music, blah blah, but overall I think it turned out pretty good. Give it a try.
Play the game here.
I really hated the theme at first. Well, maybe not hate, but I had no idea’s on what to do. I started working on my “Parallel Worlds” idea instead, but I wasn’t very motivated since I knew it had little to do with the theme. After working on that for about 5 hours, I finally got the idea for this game. Thankfully most of the code and stuff I made could still be used for this new idea, so I didn’t waste that much time.
The development process went smoothly without much trouble. Creating levels took longer than expected because of the slight “puzzle” elements of each room’s unique rule.
The “hard” mode in the final game was originally the standard, and only difficulty. I thought some people might find it too hard, so I changed it to hard mode and added “normal”. (Which was also apparently too hard for some people)
Graphics turned out okay, although I wish I had time to make some more tiles and add some variety to the visuals. I like how the player sprite turned out. (So cute <3)
Overall, I’m happy with how it turned out and I will continue to work on the game.
I just finished and submitted my game. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
Play the game here.
Here’s my game so far. It’s a pretty basic platformer, but with the twist that every room has a different rule you must follow to complete it. In each room you must do a “minimal” amount of things. For example, in this room you must reach the end using the most minimal amount of jumps, or another room where you must collect the least amount of pickups possible, etc.
Gameplay programming is pretty much done, I just need to make some more levels (I have 3 currently), improve graphics and other stuff.
I finished my Ludum Dare entry, I didn’t make a post yesterday because I was too tired.
Come play it if you want some rpg goodness. Click here!
Also, here’s a timelapse.
I’m making a little Dragon Quest-ish rpg where you play as the “Evil Lord”. You watch the Hero go through a dungeon and place monsters for him to fight. You take control of the monsters during battle and try to whittle down the Hero’s HP in a series of “Random Battles”, and defeat him before he reaches the end of the dungeon. Will I finish it in time? Will it be fun? Who knows!
(Ignore the silly placeholder sprites )
Game can be played here.
I actually ended up skipping sleep on the second night, because I realized I would not be close to getting finished if I slept. I don’t really regret it, the closer it came to the deadline, the more awake I felt so it turned out alright.
What went right:
Flashpunk- This is the second time I’ve used Flashpunk for Ludum Dare. I didn’t run into any problems with this.
Graphics- The nes style graphics were pretty quick and easy to make while still looking good.
World design- I think I did a good job at making a fun world to explore, with the world expanding with every evolution.
Concept- When I started, I was just making a platformer where your character could evolve into different beings. I pretty quickly thought up a better idea of the game itself evolving through different era’s of gaming. (Oddessy > Atari > NES > SNES. I didn’t start on the snes era, however…). I’m planning to continue working on this and develop the concept further.
What went wrong:
Basic Engine- I spent more time then I’d like to admit trying to make a simple, non-glitchy platformer engine. I’m not very good at it.
Scope to large- I intended to make the game world even larger and add shops and additional abilites, etc. Right up until the deadline I was still trying to add new content.
Enemies- The game only has 1 enemy type and 1 boss, and their movement patterns just have them moving left and right. I would have liked to have many enemies and a good boss or two.
Coins- Coins were originally going to drop from defeated enemies, and you could use them to purchase new abilites (Thus, evolving your abilites), example include charging your sword for higher power and range, the ability to attack upwards/downwards, etc.
I will continue to work on the game, then I’ll release the game as I intended it to be. The finished version will have the 16-bit evolution that I didn’t have time to make, as well as the ability the switch between the different era’s at will. It should allow for some interesting levels and puzzles.