Coding from the 80's.
About juaxix (twitter: @juaxix)
Coding from the 80's.
Ludum Dare 28
October Challenge 2013
Ludum Dare 27
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 25
October Challenge 2012 Unfinished
October Challenge 2012
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 23 Warmup
Awarded by Cyros on September 3, 2012
The Worlds Connection Award
Awarded by juaxix on September 3, 2012
Awarded by juaxix on August 26, 2012
You know, the last jam i coded my brother game and this time i’m doing a game for the 28contest and another with a friend for the jam version
this is the scene in 3d so far, as designed,
for the first game
You only start getting one feature / gift in your life, love,health or money. Then, s** in life happens: illness / diseases, be deceived, bankrupt, robs, and so on , so you have to survive in the tunnel of life, to the end or die, this universe is a plane where people and things are affecting you. Will you achieve the final goal of your life? your desirees? we will see…
Well, I had a new plugin for animations and plenty of 3d models so I decided to do this pretty awesome game of sharks
The first time I entered “Ludum Dare” I had an accident the next day, a car broke my leg bones into many pieces, I was injured more than a year because of that.
During my time in the hospital I was making games with the iPad and a notebook, then I realised that Internet and games were too good for me to keep me away from the pain of my leg.
This year, I had not any intention of doing the october challenge, but one day my fathers came to my place to visit and have dinner, my father told me that one of his patients, a cancer child would like to have a game of reindeers, which it actually let you to name ,train and send it to give presents to all the children in the world…so, I decided to make his game, for free, not even 1$, where you can do all those things magically and where you also can leave a message of effort, peace or love to all those children who are living a life surrounded by that darkness-illness.
Here it is the video:
And the entry for the game
In stead of monetize the game I have created a donate button here
If you do recognize this
you will like this:
or not, just take a look :]
I was going to do a game with a vampire in a train, I already had the train, the wagon ,the casket and I was animating the path,… adding particle fx to the chimeny of the locomotive, and just after add the casket to the rear part of the train, inside the wagon, i set the animation to open the doors ,both for casket and wagon, I already have the algorithm to detect when the vampire is hide from the spot-light (sun)
i felt something strange, the wagon door had a blood texture and it does not feel like something I would like to make, I really didnt want to create more blood games, or vampires…no…then I was looking to the ground of the scene,i feel like added an ocean, some rails, set animation and then it appears: this
that’s a game I definitely want to do.
Let me give you my inspiration here too:
Games are tailored like the script of a theater play.
I used to compose this play as a three acts.
so, this is the script:
You are a vampire, you have to sleep during the day while traveling in your train because your enemies forced you to keep moving.
When you wake up each day you have 10seconds before you get burned , to avoid the sun damage find shadows and something to eat which can increase your lifetime
When the date comes, I dont know how but it left about 10h to complete the games when I hit the Ludum Dare contests xD
Well, this time I knew that I wanted to make a different game , it resulted into this
you can play here:
The game needs two people, I think it is important to play with other person from time to time, with this videogame I want to help people to get friends more near
I made this game with ShiVa 3D engine, one of the 14 best game engines out there right now…well, time for you to evaluate!
Here is the ship in the Shiva 3D engine:
it’s an old free ship by www.psionic3d.co.uk I have converted to fit in this LD25:
And here it is, the game running
this game is just now in Blackberry appworld waiting for review, meanwhile, I’ll try to improve it
It’s the first time I read the topic of the LD so soon and before I read it I knew what I wanted to do, in fact, some of you said to me that in my previous game, from the #LD24, the protagonist was a demon god o_O, I thought it is a bit ironic and funny at the same time I must say, that I know what I’ll do now, but hey, here it’s almost 4 am and I have to go to sleep to be healthy tomorrow, and I catch a cold! atcwahhh
Well, so far, stay well!
I’m here to say that my game “Egypt Wizard” has had 2 buys, yesterday , 6 of November still doesnt count, but I feel like a win, the game is unfinished, but keep growing very fast, a new update is waiting for review and i’m preparing the versions for Android and Bada markets.
Here some screenshots from updated version.
There is a lot of new stuff in the game, lot of hard work and fun.
Game is in japanese, chinese, english and spanish.
Buy game here:
This is the current progress, only 3 levels now.
I have already submitted the app to Appstore, I ‘m preparing the new version with the issues from my three beta-test teams (iOS, Android, BB)
Have you ever dream about travel throught existence planes? to another universes? Can you believe in your own magic galaxy?
This is the idea, no more bored menus to choose the level, now, you click play and open your ocean of levels, where you can invoke the monsters you already defeated in all those places.
These days I’m coding levels with the level editor in XML and adding new fx with meshes
this is crazy!, just one day more! markets are waiting!
New monster and zone almost done!
Check out the video:
I’ve been working with physics and lighting.
I had some problems to optimize the entire theme of light and shadow with the mobile hardware, because some older devices do not support anything but OpenGL1.1 and the ones supporting OpenGL2 only have two lights (hardware acceleration) dynamics, and are directional.
I also had a hard time trying to coordinate all the events of the generation systems and balance enemy load, these are synchronized via environment variables with the AI, once you load the level you meet certain standards for each part phase, it run macros that direct action through the gaming experience.
I made several models in 3DStudio and Maya, textures with Photoshop and it has been more difficult than I thought, but also a lot of fun
I’m making a summary of what I’ve done since the last update:
- Added a compass (triangle in front of the avatar) to know where to go next
- Creation of optimized materials compatible with light and shadow
- Creating a new enemy: mini skeleton, with its animations, etc..
- Creation of a series of doors with different animations, particle systems and so on, that are synchronized to provide a consistent flow to the game
- Including transients and environmental sound effects are played according to a given priority
- resource optimization: its a need to use the least number of objects in memory and AI’s possible, it’s an art to know how to do this and mantain the FPS high, almost between 40-60+
In six days I have to submit the game to the markets.
And it is working in Blackberry PlayBook, iPhone4+, iPad (1,2,3), Pc (win,linux,mac), etc
* A new logo of XIXGAMES for the game intro:
* New doors game system, until you kill the mobs around you cant pass to the next room (today I replayed “No More Heroes” for PS3 and this people use the same , ah, guys from Darksiders do this trick also )
* A new intro, first show the XIXGAMES logo, then run three animations in 3D with a particle system and another in 2D for the play buttons.
* Magic and physicial Combat systems are more efficient now, there is a new spell also (icebolt). Player can die now XD and return to the menu very fast. There are new sound fx also, when you get hitted and new sounds for the spells also, there is a random sound for repeated tasks. Damage is calculated this way:
-- Compute damage with armor and so on local nResist = 1.0 - this.Resistance ( )/100.0 local damage = magicalPower * nResist this.health ( this.health ( ) - damage )
* Added a chest system based on proximity sensors, it works like the Dungeon Hunter (iOS), when you are near a chest, the physical attack button change to a button with a opened chest, I’m working on this now
* Scene loading mechanics, thanks to Davit Masia, who made me the Loading Screen and help me choose the right font for the title
* Camera movement with touch support: this part was a little bit hard to accomplish because of the current Camera Script had already touch controls and rotations in x,y,z
Things to be added:
- more mobs
- two scenes with 2 simple gameplays
- level up mechanics
- final bosses!
This is a video from Pc (Windows 7) this time:
Let’s see, there is complex logic now, enemies generarion with ai states, spells, attacks, optimizations, etc
It is working fine in iPad 1.
I need to improve timing for attack and casting, maybe add a spell cast progress bar?, right now I am focusing in the particular cases of spells and attack phases, each model has attached an AI encapsulating the dynamics, sensors and the back of the behaviour of each actor, movements, classes issues and so on.