Ludum Dare 19
After a few hours of trying to get an idea I felt satisfied with I started coding a basic screen system hoping to get an idea while working. It worked and off I went. From then on things flowed nicely and I had very few places I got stuck. I didn’t have enough energy to work as long as I had planned on Saturday (~9hours effective work) but I made up for it on Sunday by putting in over 12 hours. I still had to cut a few things I had hoped to include, like a better level and scoring system, but over all I’m happy with my result. It was a great experience and I’m really glad I tried it and managed to finish!
The “effective work” times above were calculated from the number of screen shots generated by my little screen capture program I wrote the day before the compo for making a timelapse. I only had it running while actively working and I turned it off for even small breaks like when trying to figure out what to do next or working out some maths. Screen shots were taken every 12 seconds and with 6429 shots in the folder that amounts to about 21.43 hours of effective work during the 45 hours from when I started to when I submitted.
Here’s the resulting timelapse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6rGl6lPxSk
The last few hours have been tough but I managed to get it done. I’ll post a timelapse and post mortem after I’ve recovered in a day or two.
Stopped working for the day a while ago. Including the idea stage early this morning (5am local time) I’ve been working about 18 hours today minus lunch, dinner and some shorter breaks here and there. The game is coming along nicely but I’m getting a bit worried I won’t have time to add everything I’d like to. That’s to be expected I suppose. Today I managed to complete the screen/menu system, movement and controls as well as my “ping” based visibility system and accompanying sound and visual effects. Here it is in action:
The main task for tomorrow is to get the combat going. I’ll probably use missiles; area detonation for shooting stuff you can’t see and homing missiles for visible targets. Levels will just be an increasing number of random enemies, or I’ll simply spawn enemies in waves as they get killed. I have at least 2 different AI’s planned and the simplest one is basically done apart from the shooting. Another thing I’d like to get done asap is some nicer background than a flat black.
Maybe I’ll actually get something submittable done before the deadline.
Currently on a lunch break after a busy morning. Well, things got busy after I finally got an idea I liked about 4 hours ago. Got a basic screen and menu system going as well as showing the first sprites on the screen.
Not much to look at yet, but it’s a small spaceship on there that can emit pings in the form of a growing circle that changes color as i grows. The idea is that enemies are invisible unless they are inside a ping. Maybe I’ll add a shorter ranged passive scanner so you at least won’t bump into things when not using the ping. Enemies will probably use pings as well and you’ll get some sort of visual cue when they do, and they’ll get your position when you use yours. Still working out the combat part but things are going along nicely at the moment.
I have a screen capture thingie I threw together that I’m running while actually working. Will post a timelapse if/when I’m done unless it gets messed up somehow.
I’ll have a go at this if time permits. Currently doing a small game for a course with some other people so I might have to work on that one instead this weekend. If I enter I’ll be using XNA+C# for coding, Gimp or Paint for graphics and sfxr for sound.