Animations and Sound Working. Next its time to set up some player sprites (lol circles) and get down to making game logic! Also need to add text drawing in game, but low priority atm.
So this little gem is not so easy to jump into and make what I want. Originally I thought it would be great for background images, but as it turns out I wont be able to figure out the language quickly. Too bad since some of the art from this app is beautiful.
Anyway, I found an example that rendered an item of interest and tweaked it to give a starry background (looks way better 2000×2000 pix):
Woot! I have my title and an original idea. Implementation will be tricky but it’ll be 2D and doable.
Idea: possibly original
This will be my second LD48. I was interrupted years ago during my first attempt (thx life) and have since been busy. So lets see how this one goes. My plan this time around is to have the engine usable very early on so that I can focus on making actual content.
Below is a list of tools that I plan on using.
Libs: SDL and SDL_*, Lua, Boost
GFX: Gimp, Inkscape, ContextFree
SFX: SFXR, MuseScore
Goals: 1) Start with a simple engine, pretty much start with whats at http://www.sdltutorials.com/. Build upon engine as needed as opposed to building an all-inclusive engine at the start. 2) Learn MuseScore (haven’t used it before). 3) Get animations to work. 4) Scripted content with lua.5) Learn ContextFree – Potential for awesome Background images.
Wish me luck and good luck to all.
So I actually came up with a great idea: window cleaning the side of a tower from a swing stage. It had the potential to be lots of fun with linear game play, loads of obstacles, chances to peek in through the windows and spy on people inside the building for rewards and punishment, wind, rain, open windows, owls swooping in to steal your hat (since it has a rat logo on top ) etc. etc. etc.. Scoring would be based on the amount of time it took you to clean the side of the building and it would be presented as your paycheck. Of course there would be deductions based on complaints (from peeking into the building), damage, equipment losses etc. and bonuses based completion, good stories you tell your boss from peeking into windows etc.
Then about 5 or six hours after the compo starts the electrical storms start and I inevitably lose power.
I then consider my options, I decide to focus on some of the design decisions and gameplay options to refine my idea. I use pen and paper, do some math, create a plan and decide I will use the laptop until the power returns. However, since my only laptop was always plugged into ac, I hadn’t realized the battery lifetime had fizzled to about 30 seconds.
So I wait for the power to return, and wait, and wait, and I pretty much get to the point where I decide there is not enough time to proceed with my original goals. I needed a working engine in the first 24 hours and I couldn’t realize this goal. So this morning, I decided that I would not have enough to show for the competition and resign to completing some outstanding household chores. This time around it wasn’t meant to be.
I may choose to revive this idea at some point in the future, but I this isn’t realistic in the foreseeable future.
This will be my seconds attempt at a solo 48h comp. Previously I had to abandon LD#10 due to work obligations.
- Write a simple engine from scratch in C++ using Code::Blocks with SDL libs. Create a playable demo.
- c::b ide with SDL and (_image, _ttf, _mixer)
I have a development plan to write the engine and I hope to post during the dev. phase to update on my progress.