Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 24
I’ve been waiting for it sooooo loooong and it has finally happend! We’ve just released Ghostly Me – post-compo version of my MiniLD #36 game which was originally called Eruption. It’s free as I promised, and you can play it on Newgrounds. I’ll be happy to get your comments, thanks!
Also, cupquake made a lets-play video for the game and she’s really cute, I had a lot of fun watching it.
Despite lack of time I finished this crazy project. I’m pretty new to Haxe and Haxepunk, but I managed to make a pseudo-3d engine witch basic lightning and add some gameplay to it just for 48 hours. Thanks all!
Added car lights and finished with gameplay design. Now it’s all about time! I hope I will have time to work out perfomance of pseudo 3D code.
So I’m using HaxePunk this time. Haven’t got much to show yet, just raw pseudo-3D engine. The game itself will be about a villain trying to destroy the City. Here’s engine demo
I really screw up with timelapse. I woke up today to open recorded video and what i saw was just a slideshow that is just impossible to watch. Me sad :[
Hopefully i saved midterm stages which shows development progress. Here are they just for history.
It’s interesting to see how game evolved.
Thanks everyone for participating – I found a lot of interesting games whith source codes MUAHAHA :>
So I decided to take chemical genetics approach for evolution =) This is my first real LD and I’m pretty happy how it goes. I haven’t got any expreience in designing strategy game before, so my submission still needs some balancing and it ma be tough to play without any tutorial, but you can try it. Cannot wait to take a look on my timelapce. I’m really curious how much time of real work I had today.
I only participated in two latest MiniLDs, so I really want to try big LD. But I could be on my way to Moscow (3 days in a
hell train), so it’s 50/50.
Anyway, my tools if I’m in:
- FlashPunk + FlashDevelop for code.
- sfxr + PixiTracker for sound and music.
- Photoshop + ASeprite for gfx.
- Coffee and apple pie for brain.
Good luck everyone!
Ok, I admit that my interpretation of contrasts idea is way too primitive. But when I designed gameplay in the begining i thought it would be more flexible and I could expand it with some contrast specific features. Well, I was wrong :< I planned to compile several colors in player’s trail and each color would damage contrastly colored enemies. It turned out that it was bad idea, so I focused on one color with different behaviours – that makes much more fun and brings some real challenge.
So in the end, the only reference to contrast is game’s visual style and color scheme (black-white, blue-orange).
I didn’t use much code from past projects – FlashPunk and Dame perfectly handle all routines.
Here is the first concept where gameplay is just established and then quiclky I switched on tileset and finished it in about 4 hours. Level design took major part of my time and I ended up with 7 levels. I’m not done with this project yet, I think I will spend another week on it after short rest.
Anyway, meet Eruption! Tho i don’t like this name… probably because it sounds much like Erection =\ Opened for offers!
Actually, I wasn’t going to participate this time due to a lack of time. But relaxed rules made me to change my mind. I designed mechanics for the game from scratch and then added water (which became lava this time) and particles system from my previous miniLD game.
I use 4 contrast colors in the game – orange-blue and black-white.
So I’m coding in AS3 using FlashPunk and Dame. Music taken from some vintage keygen. I’m going to spend the rest two days on leveldesign and polishing. I will also try to add a couple of gameplay elements if I will have time for that.
So here’s quick mechanics demo with tonns of bugs of course.
That is my first successfull experience of fast development. About 35 hours of work to get complete game.
Now, looking back I understand that I spent too much time on small details instead of working out basic gameplay. If I’ve payed less attention to interface features, the game could become more fun and consistent.
Anyway, meet Oceanoid! (“Aquanoid” turned out to be busy :<) It ended up as arkanoid variation with experimental run-as-far-as-you-can gameplay (your score depends on the distance as well as on the number of destroyed blocks) Have fun!
24 hr and I’ve got something. Gfx refreshed, changed dimensions, cleared gameplay. I think I should focus on challange and balance. Then adding coins and interface/controls/perfromance polishing.
Compiled swf here (yep, music takes 99% of size). I wonder if I managed to make aqua setting clear enough.
I’m totally new to all this competition stuff. It’s a challenge for me to design and implement a game in 48 hours (never succeeded before. lol).
The project implements mixed arcanoid+platformer mechanics. Player controlls a platform floating in a water. The ball hits the bricks on the top causing a water flow which makes water level rise => less time to catch the ball. All gfx (floating water, bubbles, waterfall) are implemented programmatically, I currently have only two assets embedded – a platform and a brick images.
Although static screenshot looks poor, it becomes much better in dynamics.
There are still some unresloved problems with game design, but I hope they will be fixed in time.