About d_durham (twitter: @d_durham)
Awarded by Winterblood on May 1, 2013
I thought I would take a break from playing entries to write a quick post mortem on my game Rokhopr. If you haven’t played it yet, it’s a simple 1 button game for 1 or two players. It can be played on desktop browsers with the keyboard or on touch enabled devices.
Here are a few points regarding the development:
I think the 2 player mode was a nice addition that I decided on quite late on. Though it took a while to implement, I think it worked out pretty well.
I was pretty happy with how the minimal 4 colour Gameboy-style aesthetic turned out in the end (although I probably spent too much time trying out different colours/designs).
The not so good
I ran out of time before I had done any game balancing (tweaking the rock spawning rate, speed up rate, player rotation and movement speed etc), and I feel the game really needs this to make it fairer and try to eliminate situations that are impossible for the player to deal with.
Also, the game is completely silent. I knew that getting consistent audio behavior across devices/browsers might be tricky, so I decided to not even try quite early on. Obviously the game could have been improved with some sound effects and music, so this was a shame.
Well, that’s all from me – back to playing my way through the entries!
My game is here: Robots Are Red, Violets Are Blue
This was my Ludum Dare, my first game jam in fact so I was excited to take part even though I didn’t have a clear weekend ahead of me.
- FlashDevelop for ActionScript coding
- Flash Professional to create and package up my graphical assets
- Paint.NET to tweak exported bitmaps
- sfxr to knock out some quick sound effects
Though I wasn’t able to start development on the game until Saturday evening, I had been contemplating the theme throughout the day. When I sat down to begin coding I had a pretty solid idea of what the game was, which was great.
I actually like how the control player movement system worked out, easy enough to move but clumsy enough cause some damage to the town.
The town below needed more work both graphically and for gameplay. The gaps between buildings are generally too small and buildings are too big to step over – the whole thing needed balancing.
I bunged in some quick sound effects made with sfxr in the closing stages, but they aren’t great.
None of the graphical assets were finished to a high enough standard (even for me). The robot remained the same as it was in my initial prototype so barely looked like
a robot at all. Also, it would have been good to get some more visual effects in.
What I Would Change
I realised quite late that changing to a single button control mechanic would be better. There’s really no point in using 2 keys as they can’t be used at the same time.
I’d originally planned to have cars moving around the roads, but this had to be dropped.
I had wanted a ‘week’ system, where the player starts on Monday and completes the day’s work, then the next day is slightly harder. Again, I ran out of time.
Although I do think a few more hours would have come in handy, I also think having some time over the weekend to go and do something else (e.g. walking the dog, shopping, DIY etc) was useful in order to reflect on ideas and let them evolve away from the computer.
Keeping two task lists was good. One for ‘must haves’ and one for ‘nice to haves’. I could concentrate on the ‘must haves’, but occasionally reward myself with a ‘nice to have’ (generally polish stuff) when I needed a boost.
Overall I’m pretty happy something half-way playable came out of the weekend and it was a great thing to experience. I’ll definitely try to participate in the future.
My first ever Ludum Dare entry has been submitted. You control a giant robot (by moving it’s legs) as it stomps around town delivering flowers.
There are a lot of things I’d like to add to it/change, but I just ran out of time. All in all though, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
Play web version: http://daviddurhamgames.com/games/robotsarered/
No longer shall I be a lazy observer – I’m finally going to participate. I’ve got a few things on this weekend but I’m going to devote as much time to this as possible and try to get something finished.
I’ll be making my game in Flash using FlashDevelop for coding, Flash Professional CS4 for creating graphics, along with Paint.NET, and sfxr for sound effects. I might try using chronolapse to create a timelapse too.
I’ll also be drinking a lot of coffee to minimize sleep and stroking my lazy 2 week beard to aid thinking.
Good luck everyone.