Ludum Dare 26
October Challenge 2012
Ludum Dare 22
Ludum Dare 21
Ludum Dare 20
Ludum Dare 18
Ludum Dare 17
Ludum Dare 15
It won’t be the first time that I’ve made a Thrust-style-game for an LD48, but this time it’s in Unity, and so far, I’ve been doing some editor scripting to allow me to build levels within Unity. As I’m rubbish with Blender…
Sometimes Unity editor scripting can seem a bit scary, but when you get things right, it’s very powerful and surprisingly easy
Did I misread the theme? – was it supposed to be Mondrian-ism or Monochrome-ism?
It’s going to be an arena shooter of some kind, with the aim of staying alive but getting the minimal score (*avoiding* power-ups, collectibles, and bonuses?). Perhaps a score that ticks downwards over time, if you can avoid killing/collecting things?
But for now, I’ve at least got basic player movement and done the mouse-to-world logic for firing. And spent too long messing with SpaceScape to create a skybox…
Well, technically this appears to count as an October Challenge success…
But in reality, it feels like quite a cheat, as the game has been in development since March or so, and it’s mostly coincidence that it was released in October
The music is by Dustin Kulwicki (www.kwixmusic.com). Just about everything else was done myself – using as many tools as possible to make the most of my limited programmer art skills. I can highly recommend SpaceScape if you need space skyboxes, and Genetica for texture creation!
I also recently posted a blog entry about the making of Skyriders, showing an assortment of screenshots throughout the development process.
Spent too much time messing with Blender and graphical stuff yesterday, I’m still lacking any gameplay – but I’ve got a scrolling map, and aplyer that the player moves+shoots, and has collision detection. A slightly unconventional control system – arrow keys for forwards/backwards/steering on the player – but with mouse aiming. WIP build here: http://www.bluescrn.net/ld48alone/
So I’m in for another Ludum Dare (as long as the theme isn’t too silly…). I’ll be joining the #MidlandsIndies in Coventry tomorrow, but may spend Sunday at home in front of my ‘real computer’, as I struggle to be productive on a laptop in an unfamiliar environment…
This time, I’m giving up my usual C++/D3D this time, and I’m going to use Flash (AS3 in FlashDevelop) using Stage3D!
I’ve put together a little framework for doing sprite-based 2D games using Stage 3D. I call it ‘Turbo2D’, and the source is available here, if anyone fancies messing with Stage3D themselves.
There’s also a little test/demo here!
It was going fairly well – but after staying up too late last night working on this, I’m low on energy and enthusiasm, not sure if I’ll actually get it into a submittable state. Too much time spent drawing the bike/biker, and learning about Chipmunk constraints…
Got the bike physics working quite nicely, after turning the friction up to 11. Enabled bloom, added a smoky background.
A massive volcano has erupted… can you escape the advancing lava (well, I missed out on ‘Advancing wall of doom’ when that was the theme)…
Need to sort the camera out next, it’s not very playable that zoomed in… but it does show off the bike that I spent far too long drawing, and which now has nicely working suspension…
Struggling a bit to get decent bike suspension/controls working, but at leas there’s a partially controllable bike in there now… time to work on the level generation code, and think about how to make it into more of a game…
Why did I decide to make a game that needed a human character… that’s my golden rule of Ludum Dare… minimal art, and *absolutely no humans, or other hard-to-draw creatures!*
Spent hours now trying to draw this bike and rider… this will have to do, let’s get back to some code…
The chipmunk is alive! Generated a nice rock-ish texture in Genetica (which is awesome, btw), use that most-overused Photoshop grass brush for some grass, and got it all UV mapped nicely.
Abusing 4×4 matrices for 2D sprite transforms – I’ve got a matrix class in my base code but no actual sprite support. But I’ve got a super-inefficient sprite class going now, along with an as-simple-as-possible entity manager (not much more than an array of pointers…)
Now I’ve got to try drawing the rest of the bike… that’s a bit more challenging…
The theme seemed a bit uninspiring. And I wanted to do something that’s not a tile-based platformer this time… ended up thinking about the motorbike chase in ‘The Great Escape’, and decided to do a physics-based motorbike game, with procedurally generated terrain (rather heavily inspired by Tiny Wings/Extreme Road Trip/Smuggle Truck/Elastomania etc.)
Got a basic sum-of-sine-waves rendering+scrolling, but I’ve got some ideas to make it more varied. But first, time to add Chipmunk for physics, and get the beginnings of a player in…