This Ludum Dare went much better than the last. I finished this year with hours to spare, last year, I was very close to the deadline. I think it was because I was more experienced this time. Now about this Ludum Dare:
The Good Bits:
- The idea worked well
- No major blocking bugs
- Random level generation saved me a lot of time
- The orange graphics for obstacles. This was inspired by mirrors edge and I think the bright colour in my otherwise quite dark, grey game really worked.
- Visual Studio 11. Once I got it fixed, it was a dream to work with. The intellisense is so much better now. Besides that I’ve always liked how Visual Studio has worked, it’s clean and very usable.
- SFML. As before I used SFML for my game. This means, theoretically, it will also compile under Linux and OS X. Alongside that it made development easy and handled much of the boilerplate code for me.
- No soundtrack, I’m not good with music
- Albeit random generation saved me time it makes it very hard to control the difficult. So much so that currently, I believe there are still certain times when a move is impossible.
- Mixed graphical style. About half way through day 1 I completely redid the graphics however some things from the old style remain. Things such as the scaled low resolution graphics and also the basic stick-figure player sprite.
- Chronolapse, or more specifically mencoder. Turns out mencoder doesn’t like 2560×1024 graphics. I ended up spending about an hour on the first day finding this out just so I could post the timelapse.
- Getting addicted to your own game. I ended up playing my game more on the second day than developing it. Although I didn’t have anything major to have there were things I could have added.
Much shorter timelapse for today, I had much less to do. My finished game can be found in the entry section titled “Freerunner”.
Timelapse for day 1. Time for sleep now. A day of music and polish tomorrow. It’s nearly done!
Here’s a few more hours work. I’m really liking how this is turning out, I hope you all enjoy it to. Please report any missing dependencies below, it’s getting hard to keep track of since I have some installed myself.
From lack of ideas I added a small Easter egg, I’ll leave you guessing as to what it is. If you watch my time-lapse after it should give you an idea though.
Woot, I have sound effects…now…musics…hnnng. Also in my “I’m in” post I made a derp, I said I was using sfxr when I’m actually using bfxr.
So my game is playable, it has menus and text and graphics and controls. I’d go far to say this is the best game I’ve made yet. I’m really pleased with how it has come out. Now this means it’s time for, audio. I plan on using sfxr and lmms, let’s see how this works. Until then, have fun playing it sans audio.
You can download it at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11197643/ld22p2.zip .
I also have a version from three hours ago at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11197643/ld22p1.zip .
I’ve got my game to a playable state. That doesn’t mean perfect or polished but you can play. You don’t die yet, you just get told in the console that it also displays. The theme is a bit loose, but your “alone” in the game, I think that’s good enough.