About Aru Nyan (twitter: @AurelDev)
Aru Nyan's Trophies
Awarded by N0_Named_Guy on August 26, 2013
Aru Nyan's Archive
Total time: 22 hours, 19 hours, 35 seconds.
Frame taken every 5 seconds (16075 frames).
So YouTube removed the music immediately after I uploaded the video (nice algorithm -_-) … then allowed me to remove just the track infringing copyrights … So I did that, then the resultant video was processing for an hour or two … And, in the end, the other video was just as silent as the first one!
Yeah. So there, that’s why there’s no Pink Floyd playing in the background. I liked the music
Edit: oh goodie, now the music is back up, again. At least some of it? Edit 2: All of it. Make up your mind, YouTube! :I
Thade. As if the name wasn’t obvious enough.
Yes, I took the theme very cheaply, but that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? … Creativeness, imagination…? … Uh. Right. It’s got a story, anyway
The first time I actually took LD seriously, even though I really didn’t like the theme. (Really, people, why ’10 seconds’? ) … That meant waking up at … 7 am! (like, 3 hours sooner than my holiday average) Weird. As always, there were some things that I wanted to implement and really did, and many more fancy things that I simply didn’t have the time to do …
What went well
- 4 minigames – lights-out, zones, pipes, sheep (a codename, I actually have no idea what this game is called)
- the level generation algorithms for zones and pipes was annoyingly difficult to implement – I went for a DFS algorithm, I guess? See source.
- an animated heart, beating and all – so I got this daft idea that instead of drawing a pixely heart and animating it … I’d just plot randomish circles on the screen at chosen points, then alter their positions and radii in sync with the ‘heartbeat’ … and oddly enough, it worked, and I kinda like the result!
- point ‘n click + 2.5d – z sort, clickmap, tiles, pathfinding … it’s hard to believe that I didn’t get stuck for too long on any of those
- timelapse – I recorded the majority of my progress, and will compile the result into a video soon enough – stay tuned
What didn’t go that well
- story-telling – so the concept had this whole idea that you, Aaron, a filthy rich guy, had a heart attack … the ER came … meanwhile, in your mind, you were playing games with Death (the name, see it??!), who’d only let you live if you realised all your mistakes… it’s safe to say that a lot of that got lost in the translation … there is a bit of dialogue, but it’s only text – originally I wanted it to be text + sketches / pretty pictures, but, no such luck
- music – … well, there is none
Phew. Finishing up at 03:22 am is no fun. But this was worth it, I believe
After the first day and most of the second one, I have something that’s almost a playable demo. *sarcasm warning* Woo, so fast!
Might as well describe the game a bit. It is called Niribu XI (kinda like a previous LD game I did, only… plus one.) You’re an explorer, exploring planets (again) and you found a very interesting planet, which you decide to call, you guessed it, Niribu XI. No, that’s not a typo. The thing that’s interesting about this planet are its cave systems – the caves change, adapt, improve to devour the raiders who would want to take the resources of this planet. So you figure, what the heck, might as well blow its brain out its geyser holes.
What a plot. So here’s what I’ve implemented so far:
- A cave generator – procedurally generates a cave system made out of a number of interconnected rooms – the rooms are filled with patterns of tiles
- Some graphics – the player, an enemy, rock tiles, map
- Few sounds (unimplemented) – just a couple of minutes of tweaking with as3sfxr
- Platformer physics
What I would like to implement before LD48 (jam) ends:
- Make the game beatable
- Increasing difficulty as you play (more monsters, better monsters, harder cave patterns)
- Items, weapons
- Music - not likely to happen, maybe for the jam version
Thar… Here’s the demo:
The controls consist of the arrow keys, X and Z (or Y for QWERTZ users). If you’re having trouble starting the game, try a refresh or a different browser.
Oh, and, I am in.
Yay, muffins … and other stuff.
I would post a pic of these delicious chocolate muffins, but… They’re mine to see, not yours!
Okay, two hours. Here’s what I made so far (without any frameworks like flixel, etc!):
- Some gfx – Yeti, Two tiles, Coins
- Collision engine
- Level one
13:43 <Aureal]rec> Well. Two hours have passed. 13:44 <Aureal]rec> Ludumdarian people, can I get 2 more? 13:45 <ratking|cooldown> one 13:45 <ratking|cooldown> one more
*gameface* … actually, nom nom nomies first.
So… Warm-up. Yay.
- Flash CSWhateverItIsThatIHaveRightNow
- Photoshop Of the same version as above
- LimeChat (for IRCs)
- Skype (for… DnDs)
- Terminal (for timelapse)
- … etc
Anyway, I threw a 5-sided die…
11:03 <Aureal> .d 5 11:03 <X3> Aureal: A 2 shows on the 5-sided die.
and got a two. A two-hour warm-up. Theme: The Ice Brokkoli Level. Yes, brokkoli, not the cheap rip-off broccoli. Courtesy of ratking.
Here we go.
Yay! I mean, D’Oh!
So, as you might have guessed by the title, I am not going to finish this Mini LD #24. Why? I don’t know… I just don’t feel like finishing the game I’ve started this time… I guess I picked the wrong themes / rules / stuff.
HOWEVER I’ve learned some Java (not really syntax, but the API functions) and made a simple sprite engine… Hooray.
Oh well. You know what time is it? It’s next time time!
Woot I have learned something in Java…
So, I have some kind of entity – sprite (with animation) engine “working”… Now I’ll be going for key listening (not hard), then some sound playing… And THEN gameplay
Seriously? I just wrote “Badum tsch” in the title? GEDDIT?! (of course not)
So anyway yes I am going to participate in Mini LD number 24 or whatever oh well I think I got it right this time (unusual) and yes my full stop key is broken.
I don’t yet know which theme(s) I am going to pick, but certainly it won’t include love (neither one). The limitations are kinda harder to choose from… I was thinking about the audio and 2 colours thing… Finally – for the rules, I think I am gonna use this one to start with Java (yeah, Eclipse already installed :D)…
I will start tomorrow, even though it is a Mini LD. Edit: oh whatever I just started beacuase (damn I am good) I’ve got some nice ideas.
Post scriptum: I am happy with Niribu X – even though it was not complete at all when I submitted it, I got some nice feedback (thank you) – so I will finish this sometime when I want a break from my major project.
Okay I am done I hoped I could do more it was fun though now here you are the link to the game:
So I just randomly noticed that many people around here were going for Musagi, if the time is right to compose some music. So I looked it up, and hey – it’s from Dr. Petter, which has also made sfxr! I thought it may be something interesting – downloaded. It was a win application, which is, however, no problem – Wine solves it easily.
But then… It is kinda simple. Not a lot of generators, assets, samples or whatever.
That is why, if I have time to compose music, I will use LS…
…HERE I COME. So original.
Following my success in MLD#22 (yah), I shall be going for LD#19. The time is (as for many) just right – end of the year, no stuff to do…
Also, let’s keep up this random tradition of saying what tools shall who-ever use, shall I?
- CODE – AS3.0 – Flash CS5
- GRAPHICS – Vector – Flash CS5
- GRAPHICS – Bitmap (maybe) – Photoshop CS5
- SOUND – … digital? – sfxr / as3sfxr / MICROPHONE (yeah, I am a beatboxe… oh whatever)
- MUSIC – ambient – Logic Studio 9 (if I will have enough time for that)
- IDEAS – neural – mHEADmod3.599 (meannetSim)
- NOTES – verbal – Text Edit 9.5321.12348g (MOST RECENT)
- COMMUNICATIONS – cut – EVERYWHERE
- COMPUTER – good – iMac
- okay, i will stop
Timelapse is coming, but I wonder if I will continue using that lame Gawker… It crashed trice the last time, so I lost like an hour or more of material… I HAVE iShowU but I can not find any way to make it record time lapsing… Ideas?
Play it HERE if you want.
It includes only 4 levels and no music… I also wanted to add much more. But then again – 48 hours is the limit.
Okay, so now I need just the music and… LOTS of puzzling levels.
Gotta love sfxr and his child, as3sfxr.
Also – the ladders:
By the way, there IS gonna be a time lapse, although not a complete one… That annoying software I use to record it crashed trice, so I’ve lost more than an hour (a PRECIOUS hour) of memo… making of … video.
Um… So I guess I am one of the few people here who actually HAVE something fully playable
Anyway – I’ve changed the title from Code Runner (running on code) to Code: Runner (yeah, you’re the runner). Such a big CHANGE isn’t it?
Screenshots + TODO after the BREAK.
PreScriptum: I am NOTIFYING the site administrator – “WordPress 3.0.1 is available!”
As you can see, I’ve decided to enter MiniLD #22 – revisiting an old idea. What is that old idea? I’ve chosen (you Pikachu!) my previous AND unsuccessful entry, to MiniLD #15 – Old game CLONE. It’s the Code Runner.
Something actually surprised me – my old notes with ideas and concept were easy to find thanks to my superior organization skills (yah, sure). It makes the whole thing easier to do, and I know what did I plan to do with these pictures. I present an excerpt of these notes to you: (after the advertisement break)
Why hello there! … wait…
So, I decided to take a chance in LD#19. I did one of the previous ones (LD#a-number-to-me-currently-unknown – theme: remake), but kinda failed. I wanted to make a Lode Runner remake, kinda newish tilish and stylish, but for some reason … I got bored by making a remake of it :D. Anyway – I hope this time the theme will be something very interesting.
It should be a good side project from my every day (and night) project… Because making an mmo is hard (MOAR INFO AT MAH DEV_BLOG)
Yah… What can I write here…
Also – I might be doing some exrepiments here, so ingore them.