Ludum Dare 23
I was finally able to finish the Ludum Dare 48 hour game challenge. I’m feeling good about my product, though I regret how messy the code got toward the end… All in all, I really think I did my best. Perhaps I spent a little too much time on a certain feature that was never actually implemented into the game because I failed to get it to work. Regardless, I like my product, so go by it and comment on it/rate it, whatever. Even just playing it for a while would be cool.
To see it, go here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=3641 – Quest^3
I’ve got some experience from a miniLD from before and I’ve improved my programming skill quite a bit since then. I’m pretty psyched for my first real LD, even though I am a little constricted this weekend to some minor commitments. I’m really liking most of the themes though, so I’m feeling pretty good about this. Above all I’ve prepared myself and my programming environment beforehand so we’ll see how it goes!
Programming Language: HaXe - http://haxe.org/
Library/Tool: NME - http://www.haxenme.org/ (no particular reason, I’ve just become accustomed to the NME development chain)
The result will most likely be a Flash application, and maybe a Windows application if it turns out it makes sense to do so. Oh, and the only other pre-written source I’ll use is just some basic classes I made to handle blitting sprites, storing animations, and checking key states more easily.
Well, just like many others I’m not going to finish the game in the next hour and ten minutes or so. My idea was a bit too complex I guess, but I learned a lot along the way.
Thanks to this I managed to learn how to use BitmapData to my advantage and copyPixels for tilemaps, making the game MUCH more efficient. Unfortunately I had spent too much time on that, art, and coming up with an idea for such a distant theme/sub-theme combo. For the most part it IS complete, but its missing some essentials like a menu, instructions pane, being able to restart the level and some sort of end to it. Originally I was planning to have a boss at the end, and I do have a graphic for it, I just simply ran out of time. About an hour and 45 minutes ago I realized I couldn’t do this much, since theres also a bunch of little here-and-theres, and if I did some quick and crappy work to finish it I wouldn’t want my name on it.
I like the idea I came up with so I won’t mention it, but I will throw a screenshot in:
So I’m going to keep working on this game and hopefully expand upon it and make it great. Thank you, Ludum Dare, for holding this 48h competitions, and I’ll definitely be in the next one!
Its my first LD competition in general, and I’m not quite sure what to expect. I’ll probably be writing my game in AS3 using Flash Builder as my IDE of choice, and most likely pixel tools in Flash for PNGs. I won’t be using any framework, possibly reusing a class for key input that I made a while ago (if its necessary). Who knows, if time permits I might make music using FamiTracker >_> but thats iffy.
Anyway, glad to be participating in my first LD! Good luck to everyone!