My ld21 entry urth scored high in innovation (4th) but not so well in everything else, and worst of all in graphics (267th). The general goal was to improve on that, while still keeping to 48 hours only.
I’ve made this to fit 5 jams, namely:
- miniLD 29 – horror
- GPCv8 (Game Prototype Challenge) – armor & pollination
- Mysticism Pageant (Super Friendship Club) – mysticism
- Story Game (Experimental Gameplay Project)
- Music Interpretation Contest (GameJolt)
Most of the themes are reflected by story rather than gameplay, which can be rather confusing as the story isn’t obvious from the beginning, and takes quite a bit of playing to sort out.
I’ve never finished a platformer before, any my closest attempt was a worms clone 6 or 7 years ago which I lost due to a HDD failure. As a general rule I’m not very fond of platformers in general, but I wanted to walk a mile in the other man’s shoes before criticising him (after all, if it went badly I’d be a mile away and have his shoes). The good news is that I now have reusable code (sort of) which I can indeed reuse should I chose to make more platformers.
Similarly, I’ve only done 2d frame by frame animation once or at most twice before, so I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to pull that off in so little time.
I’ve tried to add a sense of anticipation to the presence of the red eyes. I’m not sure how obvious the effect is, but the light intensity fades and movement becomes blurred as redeyes approach. The intent was to provide a subtle hint which would be picked up subconsciously and trigger an undefined sense of discomfort.
I’ve also discovered workarounds to some problems I’ve had before. Behind the scenes stuff.
What didn’t work
3D failed me once more. I wanted a 2D platformer with 3D scenery, but I ended up with a 2D platformer with 2Dscenery rendered in 3D. Problems ranged from the mesh not fitting properly, to blender not saving texture information to obj files and to unnatural slowdowns in rendering. Maybe next time.
I intended to have a background consisting of sliding panels which were to give a sense of depth. Mountains, plants that sort of thing. I noticed that I wasted too much time on that with no respectable results and decided to abandon it. It’s probably better that I did.
Sounds were also supposed to change as red eyes approach, heavy breathing was supposed to take place in darkness, but the sounds would get cut out. I rarely work with sounds so I need to look into that. Good thing lmms saved the day with some handy effects.
The death screens have a slight screamer effect which I dislike, so I tried to fade them in to smooth transition. They are intended to look disturbing and not intended not to shock. I’m not sure if I succeded.
My laptop (brandishing the cursed gma 500) apparently runs the game at half the speed. Since playtesting was done on that, the end result might be a bit too fast. I need feedback on that. In addition I had to change renderers in the last minute as there seems to be an issue with processing and openGL applets.
Fun was had.
Feedback, positive and negative is equally welcome.
Game page | Play directly