Ludum Dare 29 — April 25th-28th Weekend [9 PM EST] — Theme: ??? (Theme Voting!)
  • Ludum Dare 29 Compo (48 Hour+Solo+Scratch+Src) Begins: in 4 days, 15 hours, 21 minutes, 35 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 29 Jam (72 Hour+Teams OK+Relaxed) Begins: in 4 days, 15 hours, 21 minutes, 36 seconds
  • [ MiniLD 50 | Warmup Weekend April 19th-20th | Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | Wallpaper ]

Let’s try to actually finish something

Posted by
    November 18th, 2013 1:17 am

So I’ve always been interested in programming and game programming in particular. I followed LD for so long, but never actually did something. That’s something I really want to change.

For … reasons, I couldn’t do any programming for years, so I’m very much out of practice. Also, due to health reasons, I can’t concentrate for very long. It might seem basic to you, but if I can think about one particular thing for an hour, it’s a win in my book. Basically, the ┬ábrain was on vacation for a few years, and I’m trying to get it back into shape.

Actually, as I proofread the last paragraph, fuck it. Just… fuck it, I’ll just say it like it is. I’ve been a pretty good and clever computer science person for all my life, until I somehow became a massive alcoholic. For the last 8 or so years, I’ve been trying to drink myself into an early grave, and boy, was I trying hard. I didn’t succeed however, got sober earlier this year and now I’m at a point where I want to get my brain back. I’m much better in many aspects, but I’m still not able to concentrate for long, I just lose focus quickly and if I do, it’s all over, I can’t get back into it. Also, I just didn’t do any programming for a long time, I want to become my old self again. Having to look up stuff every minute is really getting on my nerves.

So, what to do? My goal is to be in shape for the next LD. So I’ll download Unity (pretty excited about this tool, let’s see how it works), give myself a week and try to work on something for at least 4 hours every day. 4 hours may not seem much to you, but for me and my battered and bruised brain it’s pretty ambitious. Let’s see how it goes. Also, I’ll be documenting my journey here, I’m thinking it might give me some motivation by being accountable for something. I’ve been ashamed enough for two lifetimes, I don’t need to fail again in front of game developers :)

No ideas yet, but I’ll come up with something while downloading hopefully. It doesn’t have to be great, it just has to be something playable for now. Enough talking, let’s do this.

9 Responses to “Let’s try to actually finish something”

1. iambored2006 says:

Good luck! I’ll be following your blog posts.

2. howieV (binarygirl) says:

good luck man.. you can do it.. i find it hard to concentrate as well nowdays but i think its just me being an old bastard :)

3. GravityScore says:

Congratz on the sobriety! Good luck with the compo!

4. goerp says:

Four hours a day is not bad. Good luck, and have (a lot of) fun!
      Even if you don’t finish a game think about the things you achieve.

5. KevinWorkman says:

Congratulations on getting sober, and I wish you luck.

If it makes you feel any better, what you described sounds like a lot of programmers who step away from the craft for a while, or who are just starting out. You aren’t alone. Even without any drinking, tons of people have to look stuff up every few minutes- the Java API is the first tab open in my firefox! And sitting down and actually coding can be pretty daunting.

But if you give yourself little goals (like making a pong clone and then sprucing it up) can make the process a little easier. Plus going through the process of creating a game with a beginning, middle, and end in a short amount of time is great practice for Ludum Dare!

6. Michcioperz says:

I totally believe you can make something cool, good luck :)

7. Sistinas says:

Congrats on sobriety tassadar, email me if you feel like it, I want to send you something, and chat about some gaming stuff. sistinas (at) 27pro (dot) com

8. LTyrosine says:

Unity IS amazing, good choice. With 4 hours /day you can manage to bring a nice entry for LD28. Do a favor to yourself and learn coroutines from start, they are a very powerful tool for quick code that LD demands.

9. Photon says:

Congrats on the sobriety! And relax: just take things one step at a time. Stick with it and hopefully we’ll see you back to your “old self” again soon for LD!