A long time ago I programmed a little on a Commodore 64.
I found programming in assembly hard and being a lazy teenager soon gave up.
Many many years later (just after an unsuccesful Ludum Dare) the Mini Ludum Dare ‘Low Level’ was declared. This REALLY inspired me. I immediately knew I wanted to do something for the Commodore 64.
The next day (after a mind storming sleep) I had a complete idea in my head.
Because I had no idea about design tools for the C64 and not much experience in making sprites I decided to keep it very simple. Here’s a first sketch I made:
I found out, that the cross assembler I previously used, didn’t work on Windows 7. I had to look for a new cross-assembler. C64PrgGen looked nice so I used that. Looking back, maybe not the best choice, it had some bugs that really cost me a a lot of time. But after one day I had become reasonably comfortable with it and I got up to speed. For the graphics I settled with making them in Excel. Probably not the best choice, but easy to alter to my own wishes. Here the design for the title. It’s made up of 96 altered characters.
These two books (yes young people, physical books!) helped me a lot with the workings of the C64 and where to map my graphics :
I was very pleased with the result. It took me a week to do, but if you had asked me a year ago if I thought I could make a game in assembly for the C64 in a week, I would have laughed.
So Mr. Sosowski, thank you for this inspiring theme and giving me a chance to redeem myself for my lazy childhood!