Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: ??? (Suggest a Theme)
  • Ludum Dare 30 Begins: in 27 days, 21 hours, 52 minutes, 44 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals (coming soon) | MiniLD #53 ]

Warmup Weekend – Ludum Dare 27

Posted by (twitter: @mikekasprzak)
    August 15th, 2013 9:15 pm

Hey guess what? It’s Warmup Weekend time again!

Did you skip out on #7DFPS this week? Then between now and Ludum Dare 27′s start time, you should probably make sure that your tools work. Make some art, import it, and draw it on screen. Make some sounds, import them, and play them on cue. If you’re using a new development tool, figure out the development and testing cycle.

Bullet point summary:

• No rules or limits. This is practice.
    • Learn your development tools! Write some code, run it.
    • Make some art, get it on screen, make it move.
    • Print some text to the screen. Print some text to a log (if applicable).
    • Make some sound, get it in game, make it play.
    • If you’re motivated enough, make your experiments in to a game!
    • Make something that should take “hours”, not 2 days.
    • Then package it up, put it online.
    • No time or day limit. But if you have no other plans this weekend, why not?

If you like what you’ve done, feel free to share it.

[ Submit Here | View all Warmup Games ]

Lets go go go!

23 Responses to “Warmup Weekend – Ludum Dare 27”

1. JakeHorsfield says:

My “graphics” absolutely suck donkey balls, anyone got any pointers?

2. lustdante says:

Awesome! Before start warming up, I want to make sure whether paid Unity assets are allowed. Some say “only free and publicly available tools are allowed”, but I’ve seen past LD entries made with 2D Toolkit, a $60 asset for making 2D game. I wish someone could give me a clear answer.

My second question is what’s a general perception when you see a Unity web player loading screen? Seeing most of the past winning entries made of haxe and libgdx, I was wondering whether using high level tools like Unity is any less favorable than using those lower level tools when it comes to the voting. In the end, it’s all about making the most impactful game within the strict time limit, but does such perception exist?

I hope you all warm up nicely and be generous with the theme vote. Good luck! :)

• JakeHorsfield says:

As a Linux user, seeing the “Unity Web Player”is quite annoying because it doesn’t run on Linux. I think you can export a Linux build from within Unity though.

NOTE TO ALL UNITY USERS: Create a Linux build please!

• Danex317 says:

That is actually really good to know. I just figured the Web Player worked on Linux. I knew the exe wouldn’t of course but that’s why I always make both. I can check later but do I need a Linus box to export a Linux build?

(I ask because I need a Mac to export for iOS. -.-)

• lustdante says:

Thank you for the useful tip!

• dalbinblue says:

You are fine using the paid for tool kit. The rules say publicly available tools are allowed, that includes commercial tools. As for certain people frowning on using high level tools, sure there are some people that, but you are here to have fun making games. This isn’t a serious competition with high stakes. It’s friendly competition and a chance for personal growth, so use what tools you are comfortable with and enjoy the process. The only caveat is that if you make a tool before the competition, you will need to share it with others.

• MrBlade says:

Unity is nice enough to be pretty stable on all platforms, I know that (going from Windows.) you can build for OS/X And Linux and as far as I have, most of the time the build works.

3. andrewgd says:

I still don’t know what tool to use. Any suggestions?

• Brian Stegmann says:

Do you mean IDE, libraries, platform, or.. ?

In terms of platforms for making games, I’ve experimented with C# using XNA and MonoGame, and then lately Javascript using EaselJS (an HTML5 canvas wrapper). EaselJS is proving to be pretty cool and easy to use so far, although I haven’t been able to test its performance under heavy load too much yet.

Here’s a book worth checking out, I read it recently and it was a great refresher for 2D game programming and also provides great examples for integrating EaselJS into your game code: http://indiegamr.com/zerotoappstore/. It also has some really useful tips on making HTML5 games that adapt to viewport size, so they can be played on mobile or traditional computers.

This is the game that the author shows you how to make: http://indiegamr.com/zerotoappstore/jumpy/

4. swipefaststudios says:

Is anyone going to make up a theme for warmup weekend like last time?

5. brgarnet17 says:

When is the latest time that I can submit an entry for this on Sunday? I seem to be experimenting more than I anticipated…

6. Gravity Games says:

Well, I guess I’m sort of doing this, even though I won’t be submitting a game. I’m currently working on a 2d platformer engine for the main game I’m working on, and will probably use it to make my Ludum Dare game (this is my first time doing the jam instead of the compo…). With any luck, my entry will actually run on Linux this time…

7. Zentanith says:

What if I am using Game Maker: Studio, and I use mostly drag and drop coding, what do I upload when they ask for the code?